Sins of the family

"If only these walls could talk...the world would know just how hard it is to tell the truth in a story in which everyone's a liar."  

-Gregg Olsen, (Envy)

***

"Please, I have to see him!" Pansy Parkinson begged Madam Pomfrey at the door of the hospital wing, tears running down her face.

"I'm sorry, he's resting, you can see him tomorrow." She said firmly. "Right now I would only allow family to see him but he begged us not to tell his mother about his injury so no one can go in."

"Wait." I said as the nurse turned to go back inside. "You said family...I'm family, he's my cousin. You have to let me see him." I said calmly. My hands were shaking and my mind was in turmoil as I stood there with Pansy, Blaise and Donna.

Madam Pomfrey sighed. "Just you then. Five minutes only. Come on in." I followed her towards the only occupied bed in the entire wing. "I just gave him something for the pain, it will also help him sleep. Do not agitate him."

I stood over Draco's bed and the emotions that I had been struggling to keep in check burst out and I started crying seeing him so heavily bandaged and swollen badly. I bent over his body and kissed his forehead. He opened his eyes. I sat down and took his hand. He turned his head drowsily towards me.

"Hey." I said wiping my tears hoping that he wouldn't see them. "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better." he whispered wincing slightly. "Don't cry."

"Sorry, I just...I...don't like seeing you hurt like this. Why won't you let them tell your mother that you're sick?" I asked.

"I don't...want her...to..to worry.." he coughed out. "Promise...promise that you...you won't tell her."

"Draco..."

"Please."

"Okay. I won't."

"Thank you. Well...there's one...one good thing...about this..." he said slowly.

"What?" I asked.

"You um...you...didn't see my death...after all..so...that is ...good."

"There's still hope for you then." I said feeling a surge of relief.

"You're stuck with me...for a while...at least"

Suddenly my relief was marred by something that I hadn't thought about in all my worry for him.

"Draco...who did this to you?" I asked.

"What are you...what...will you do?" he asked.

"Who did this? I'll make them feel worse than you do right now." I said.

I saw him attempting to smile and then flinching. "It was your friend. Potter."

"What? How? " I asked shocked.

"I don't know. Dark magic. Who'd...who'd have thought...huh?"

"Do you remember the spell?"

""Um...sect...sectimsempra..no sectimsepra...no sectumsepra. Yeah that's it..."he sounded weary.

"He'll pay for this." I said.

"Okay, time's up Miss Black. He needs to rest." Madam Pomfrey said coming towards us. I stood up, angry. Draco held on to my hand.

"Hey...don't do anything...I...I wouldn't...do." he smiled weakly.

I squeezed his hand and stormed out of the hospital wing. Who did Harry Potter think he was, doing that to my cousin. I'd make him pay.