Conversations

"If you're gonna let me down,

Let me down gently,

Don't pretend that you don't want me."

-Adele (Water Under The Bridge)

***

"So, what did the Minister want with you?" I asked Harry.

"He wanted me to help the Ministry to look good in front of the public if you can believe it." He said shaking his head.

"You said no, right?"

"Of course I did. After everything that they put me through last year, I wasn't going down that easily. And anyway it's not like I approve of what they are doing either. Arresting Stan Shunpike?" he shook his head.

"I know." I said. "I mean, you know my friend Donna Travers? They arrested her sister, even though her dad is one of the Auror trainers. It's kind of sad." I said.

"Yeah. I can't be affiliated with that." Harry said. "I mean he called me Dumbledore's man through and through."

"Well you are aren't you?" I smiled. It was nice talking to Harry, especially after avoiding him for four months. He'd always understood me, and I was starting to resent him less.

"Listen Miley, what I said before, about Malfoy-" he cut into my thoughts.

"This again?" I sighed.

"No, listen. I know you're helping him, I don't know what he's doing, I just need to know if he really is a Death Eater." Harry said.

"Harry, do me a favour, okay? Stay out of this. I'm handling it, I promise." I smiled and walked away.

I found Fred sitting alone in the living room the day after New Year.

"Hey." I said.

He looked up. "Miley, hey." He said. I sat down next to him.

"Where's everyone?" I asked.

"Mum's in the kitchen, and uh, everyone else is in their rooms I guess."

"Oh." I said. This was weird. I had always found it so easy to talk to Fred, so, now I was struggling for words.

"So, what-"

"Why did you-" we spoke at the same time

"You first." He said.

"Okay." I swallowed. "Why did you kiss me?"

He sat up, and looked at me, like really looked at me. I blushed. Then he shrugged.

"I had an impulse."

"You had an impulse?" for some reason it made me laugh slightly.

"Yeah, you were acting all weird; I thought a good bit of kissing would cheer you up." Fred said turning his head away from me.

"Oh. Well, it did. But it also confused me." I told him.

He stood up. "That was never my intention." He started to walk away.

"Fred." I said, also standing up and walking towards him. He turned. "Is it okay....if....if I have an...um..impulse too?" I asked.

"Hmm." He sounded surprised, "Um, okay, I guess it's only fair."

I stood in front of him, I was way shorter than him, so I would have to stand on my toes if I was going to kiss him. My heart started to beat really fast, and I was sure my hands were starting to sweat. I couldn't do it. I stared at the ground.