Chapter 4 - let the game begin.

Saturday came around quicker than I thought was possible. As I got up that morning I couldn't help but smile, the thought of seeing George play right in front of me was amazing.

I decided that instead of leaving Jo and Morgan to make out on the sofa while watching the walking dead, I thought that I should at least invite them and George even said it would be a great idea.

We pulled up outside the rec at around 12:45 giving me just enough time to grab a pint of beer in the beer tent (always a tradition for me when seeing any game of rugby) before meeting up with George.

"You never told me you drink." A unmistakable voice said before approaching me.

"Well George, you of all people should know the importance of tradition." I say smiling and turning to face him. I pull him into a hug before he can say anything.

"Good to see you to, how are you?" He asks pulling away from the hug. I pick up my beer before answering.

"Amazing, I can't wait for the game to start. The atmosphere must be amazing!" I say getting excited again.

"You have no Idea." He says then with out me knowing, he swiftly grabs the pint from my hand and takes a swig. I franticly try and grab my beer back, he can't just go around taking my beer! Anyway he's a professional sports player, isn't alcohol a big no no!

"Hey, give it back! I didn't think you were allowed to drink alcohol anyway!" I yelled finally getting my hands on the cup and pulling it back in my grasp.

"Oh, it's fine. Just don't tell my dad or I'm dead!" He whisper yells at me causing me to laugh. "Oh, you think it's funny, just wait till my dad gets all in bad coach mode! It's worse than having Billy vinapola come running at you after him realising you've eaten that last pice of pizza."

By this time, my stomach starts to hurt from all the laughing. George just stood there with that amazing smirk on his face looking at me like I was mad.

After composing myself, we walked over to the shed where all the team meet for a quick warm up and pep talk before the game starts. As we get closer, I sport Dave Atwood and Ross batty pacing the ball practicing line outs. On the wall just outside the cabin which separates the car park from the grounds, sat Antony Watson listening to music with a few other players with him.

"Guys, this is phoebe. She's a good friend." He introduces me to the guys. "Phoebe, this is Dave, Ross and Antony. Some of the other guys will be out in a minute." He say pointing to the guys in order.

"Cool, hey guys." I say not really knowing what to say, I mean what do you say to your sporting heroes. 'Hey, how's it going. Just to let you know I'm trying really hard not to fangirl.' No, I don't think so, I'll just stick with 'hey' for now.

"George, coach wanted to talk with you before the game. He's just inside." Dave told George whilst catching and holding the ball flying towards him.

"Um, ok." He says like he's trying to think, " will you be alright?" He asks turing to me.

"Sure." I simply answer.

"Oh, come on George. We can look after your girlfriend for a while, we won't let anything happen to her, we promise." Ross says jokingly making both me a George go red making all the others laugh.

"We're not going out!" George says a little too quickly but I let it slide. He's right, we're not seeing each other. "I better go, I'll see you in a minute phoebs." He says using my nickname, it sound nice when he calls me that and I believe that's the first time he has called me that.

"Ok, bye." I say as he turns to leave. I turn to the guys to find them all doing their own thing, I decide to sit on the wall with Antony on my left.

"Hey, you a fan?" He asks as I sit down.

"Yeah, my dad used to bring me to games here a lot, it was great fun. But he soon got too ill to even come out so we just slowly stopped coming. It's nice to remember all the fun I used to have." I say trying to not tell the story of my life to a complete stranger.

"Oh, nice. The reason I love the rec and rugby so much is because it brings family's closer." He says. Antony seems really easy to talk to, I wish all of my social interactions could go this smoothly.

"Yeah, me to. So, what are you listening to?" I ask trying to keep the conversation going.

"Pompeii by Bastille. It's a good attitude booster before a game." He answers mentioning one of my favourite bands.

"Really, I love Bastille." I say getting a bit excited, "in fact, I saw them preform at Glastonbury a year ago. They were amazing!"

"Cool, I've always wanted to see them live. They're an amazing band and have some great songs." He starts making me agree with him without a doubt.

I was about to say something else when George suddenly comes out of the cabin and making a strait line for me. We make eye contact and I can't stop looking into his bright blue eyes. As he gets closer, the world seams to slow down and it feels like it's just me and him in the whole world. His eyes seemed to swallow me up right then and there. It was like this for just a few seconds more until someone clears their throat.

"Hey, George. I think coach wants us all to warm up properly on the field." Antony interrupts us making me instantly look at my hands in my lap like they're the most interesting things in the universe.

"Ok, I'll be there in a minute." George says giving Antony a hint to leave.

"Sure, enjoy the game phoebe." Antony says before leaving to go warm up. I just nod in his direction before he turns and leaves.

" I'll walk you over to your seat." George says and I instantly agree. George being George, managed to get me vip seats just behind the far try line. As we walk, our shoulders brush against each other sending tingles all over my body like always happens when we're this close. As we reach the entrance to the seated area, I wish George good luck.

"Well, good luck! You better win or else I'll shun you for a whole week." I joke around making an empty threat. Even if I tried, I'll never be able to ignore George for 2 days let alone a whole week.

"Don't worry, I trust my team to win and even if we don't, I'm sure you won't be able to ignore me for a week." He says like he's read my mind. "Enjoy the game, I'll see you after, ok."

"Ok, go win!" I say as he turns away from me to go onto the pitch

As I walk to my seat, I notice Jo and Morgan are already there. I take a seat next to them as we watch the guys run around practicing for the match that starts in about 5 minutes.

"So, where did you disappear to with George?" Jo says turning to me and giving me a wink.

"Nowhere! He just introduced me to a few of his team mates." I say getting defensive. She always expects the worst from me, I don't know why.

"Ok, sure. what ever you say."

I give up on trying to get her to believe me. No matter how hard I try, she'll always find a way to make it sound dirty. Remind me why I'm friends with her again?

"Ahhh, the game is starting!!!" Jo says right in my ear, she has definitely had one too many pints of beer already.

I cheer as both teams run out from the tunnel, I spot George coming out around the middle. As I make eye contact, he winks at me just before getting into position. For what feels like the 100th time today, my cheeks turn a red colour as I blush.

Let the game begin.

Rugby at heart - a George ford fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें