Chapter 12- lord dont let me screw up

Today was the day of the tryouts, I had every piece of preparation ready to go. I had been training vigorously at my regular training sessions and with George as well, I knew I was prepared but I was still anxious about today. Why wouldn't I be, this is a test match that will determine if I get to play for my country or not.

I was standing outside of the England training grounds with my boot bag in hand just looked at the huge piece of land in front of me. I was alone since Jo had training, mike wanted to go property searching and George had a big game coming up. I must have been standing out there for at least 25 minutes until someone cleared their throat.

"You know it looks a lot smaller inside?" A voice said behind me.

As I turned around I saw a woman a little older than me with brown hair and warm brown eyes to match. However what really caught my attention was the England rose on her shirt, which only means one thing, she's a part of the England team.

"Really, I bet it would still look huge to me no mater where I stand." I say back light hearted, still looking at the huge building in front of me.

"That was my same thought when I first came here," she answered back smiling, "I'm Sarah, captain of the England woman's team." She said turning do me and putting her hand out to shake.

"Nice to meet you, I'm phoebe, I'm trying out as the new fly half." I say shaking her hand.

"Well, I hope you do well. I have a feeling you will fit in nicely with the rest of the team." She says smiling at me.

"Thanks, I hope I can get that place. It's always been a dream to play for England."

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. Anyway, do you want me to show you the where you'll be meeting the coach?"

"That would be amazing." And with that I took the first step to achieving my dream.

I flowed Sarah through the maze that was the England training grounds, I'm thinking it might be helpful if I get a map later on. Until I come out to a beautifully kept pitch with a group of woman in a group just behind the posts nearest to me.

I look to Sarah to find she's already gone, so without any other option, I approach the group of woman. As I get closer, the whole group suddenly bursts into laughter making me feel out of place.

"Hey, are you here to tryout?" I ask as I reach the end of the group. All at once everyone stops and stares at me giving me the one over.

"Yeah, and what are you here to do?" The leader says bitterly making me do a double take. I look at her closely, she has strait blond hair, round brown eyes and look of disgust plastered on her face. What did I ever do to her?

Just as I'm about to answer she cuts in. "Wait, let me guess," she says in a joking manner, making her thinking face, "um, how about water boy, or should I say girl. Oh wait, I know, your here as a spectator to look and learn from us, real elite athletes. That makes sense." She says with a smirk on her face, making me want to slap her.

I mean I know I'm not as old as them by maybe 5-6 years but I can't believe they think I'm not worthy to play with them.

"Actually I'm here to tryout as fly half, and for your information I've been playing for bath for 2 years now since I transferred from Lancaster. And I've even got George ford to coach me personally." I say holding my tongue from saying something I might regret. As I finish I start to walk away, heading down the hall I just came from.

"Yeah right, and if he is then it's probably a charity case, where he gets great publicity from the press saying how he spends his time coaching a girl to kick and how much of a kind hearted man he is." She yells after me causing me to role my eyes.

As much as I wish to turn around and slap that bitch so hard her fake hair extensions fall straight out her hair. I carry on walking, I don't want to get this opportunity waisted because I couldn't be a better person and hold my tongue.

I walk through the corridors of the grounds and see they are decorated with England rugby art and inspirational quotes. As I'm admiring the wall, a girl 1 or 2 years younger than me bangs into me causing us both to fall on the hard concrete floor.

"Oh god, that knocks the wind out of you." I say in a breathless voice as I try and get my breath back.

"Oh crap, are you ok? Shit I should of looked where I was going." She says worried as she grabs my hand a pulls me up with her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need a minute to catch my breath." I reassure her, only to have her stare at me in shock. "What?" I ask unsure of her shocked state.

"If you haven't noticed, your nose is bleeding and by the looks of it you may a slightly broken it."

"What?!" I yell as I pull my hand to my nose, now noticing a dull ache as the shock slowly passes. Sure enough I see my had stained with red blood, as when I touch my nose a sharp pain curses through it.

"Shit, How am I meant to play like this?" I ask her rhetorically, as my eyes start to water from the pain.

"Easy, lets quickly go get you cleaned up. Then you need to go out there and show those England talent spotters or what ever they are that you are the best for the job!" She yells at me making me stare at her like she just grow two heads.

"Sorry, I can be a bit bipolar at time. But I'm serious, I've seen the other girls and I really don't want them on the team. So you have to get this place." She says a bit calmer now.

With that she brags me off to the toilets. As we get there she grabs a paper towel, dampens it then starts dabbing away at my face being fearful when it came to clearing the blood on my nose.

"So, what's your name?" She asks.

"Phoebe, yours?"

"Hannah."

"So Hannah why are you here?"

"Well, I'm actually here because my dad is one of the coaches and he'll be judging you. He said to stay out the way, but I did a grate job of that, didn't I?

"It's not your fault, I should have gotten out your way."

"Don't be stupid, I should be looking where I was going. There, all done. I have some pain killers if you want them?" She asks reaching into her backpack and taking out some tablets.

"Thanks." I say as I grab two and swallow them whole.

"Crap, look at the time your meant to be all warmed up and on the pitch." She says grabbing my hand once more and dragging me back to the pitch.

As we reach the pitch, Hannah wishes me good luck as I jog to the centre of the pitch where everyone is gathered.

All I can think is Lord please don't let me screw up any more.