Chapter 2: The Ceremony

*Edited.*

Chapter 2

The remainder of the week passes quickly. My cold is finally disappearing, and I feel like myself by Friday night. Coming home from work a little early, I hop in the shower and let the hot water run over my body. Allowing myself time to dress nicely and actually put make-up on, I feel the best I've felt in a long time. Probably the best since I've moved to California. I eat a light salad for dinner, thinking how if Amma saw me, she'd have my head for how skinny I've become.

I get in my car, a cute little Honda Civic, and drive over to the city park where the ceremony is being held. There are some white folding chairs in front of a pavilion with an American flag draped over one side. People are milling around, so I walk over and take a seat.

I overhear some ladies saying that the mayor will be making a speech. Just then, a huge group of people around my age show up, saying how they can't wait to see Nate in his uniform.

That's nice, I think, his friends have come to support him.

Everyone sits down, and a man, who I presume is the mayor, takes center stage and welcomes everyone. He says a few words, like how we need more people like "our Marine" to so valiantly serve our country, and community. Then he asks everyone to stand up and welcome to the stage "our Marine"! The crowd erupts in applause, and I stand up on my tiptoes to see the man walking to center stage.

"Please welcome Marine Captain Nathan Serther!"

I do a double take.

Nathan?

It's true. This Marine is the same guy I ran into. I immediately start to blush, hoping he won't recognize me in the crowd. I was so embarrassingly tongue-tied around him! Not to mention sweaty and gross from the physical exercise.

It's kinda hard to pay attention to the rest of the ceremony. Something about a man in his uniform serving his country is incredibly attractive. When the ceremony ends, I get up and start walking across the park towards my car.

"Hey! Zoe!" I hear a voice shouting behind me. I turn around to see Nathan jogging across the lawn.

"Oh, hi!" I say, trying to wave cutely. I end up feeling ridiculous, so I put my arm down.

"What brings you here to this horrendously boring ceremony?" Nathan asks, tucking his hands in his pockets.

Staring at you wasn't too boring, I think, wishing I had the nerve to say it aloud.

Instead, I respond, "Well, um, I saw it in the newspaper, and, um, my brother's in the Air Force, so, um, yeah!"

It comes out awkwardly bright and cheerful. I wince. Such a weirdo, he must be thinking.

"Well, thank you for coming," he says, chuckling. The corner of his eyes crinkle when he smiles like that, creasing the tan skin.

Someone calls out Nathan's name.

"Over here, Mom!" he shouts in response.

An attractive, middle-aged woman walks over to us. She raises her eyebrows slightly at the sight of me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to...interrupt...your conversation," she says slyly, sizing me up. Nate notices, and rolls his eyes.

"Mom. A friend," he exaggerates.

"Of course, of course," she brushes him off. Turning towards me, she introduces herself. "I'm Marcie Serther, Nate's mother."

"Zoe Michaels," I say, "Nice to meet you."

She smiles genuinely. "Thank you for coming this evening! We really appreciate it."

"Oh, my pleasure, Mrs Serther," I say, matching her smile.

"Please, dear, call me Marcie."

Her smile fades as it wanders around the park. She zeros in on some children playing tag, and excuses herself.

"Jack, please, not in your nice new slacks!" she sighs, as she catches up with a small boy. The knees of his khaki pants are grass stained, but he looks proud.

"I won, Mama! I beat them all!"

She smiles. "That's great, Jack! I just wish your pants didn't lose."

He laughs.

"Is that your brother?" I ask Nathan.

"Sure is," he says, just as proud as Jack. "Do you have any other siblings?"

"No, just Chris, the one who's in the Air Force."

A fairly awkward silence starts. I scan the park, trying to look anywhere but Nathan. Out of my peripheral vision, I see that he too is studying the activity around us.

I finally look at my watch.

"Hey, I gotta get going," I start to say to Nate.

"Yeah, yeah, of course," he responds, seeming thankful for the break of silence. "See ya around?"

I nod, smiling like a fool. Yes, I do think I'll be seeing more of Nathan Serther, if I can help it.