Chapter 15: The Contemplations

Hello all! This might be my last update for a few weeks, so enjoy it while you can! :) I love you all, thank you for boosting me to over 2,000 reads! <3 It's ah-mazing, I truely never thought I'd get that many since I don't consider myself a writer. :)

Oh and thanks to @Demonic_Angel13 for following me!! :) It means a lot!

Don't forget to COMMENT and VOTE!

Chapter 15

Nathan's P.O.V.

I open my truck door with an aggravated tug. How can people jump to conclusions like that? Zoe's grandparents were mad, to say the least. Before either of us could get a word in to defend ourselves, they ordered, yes, ordered me to get out. And stay out. I tried to stay, so Zoe wouldn't have to face them alone, but she told me it might make the situation worse. So, grudgingly, I left.  

"Dammit!" I yell, pounding the steering wheel. I can't stand people who assume things, without caring about the truth. I can't stand that I can't do anything, now, to mend the situation. I can't stand that I'm leaving in four weeks. Heck, I can't stand that I'm this upset! 

I drive around for a while, trying to cool off. Eventually, I head home, to the ruckus of a family of nine. They seem overly possesive now after the deployment news, and I feel like I'm suffocating in my own skin. God, I just wanna get away from it all!  

So I go for a run. Running has always been my escape. In high school, before any big exam or tryout, I ran. Running just got better and better after I met Zoe. Sometimes, we talked as we went along. Sometimes, we fell into a comfortable silence. I haven't run with her since her grandparents came. Now, I run to get my mind off things. Even though it feels like a tremendous boulder has been lifted in telling Zoe about Iraq, my head still aches with all the things going on in my life.  

Heading home, hot, sweaty, but satisfied, I decide to talk to Dad. He is a smart and logical, maybe he can help me with some things. I find him in his study, and he waves me in.  

"Hello, son," he says getting up to give me a hug, ignoring the fact that I'm drenched in sweat. 

"Hey Dad. Do you have some time?" 

"Of course," he pauses to study my face, "What's on your mind, Nate? The girl?" 

"That's one of the biggest things. Iraq, too, I guess, and I just made a big mess with her grandparents." 

"By staying over night?" 

"Umhum. They weren't pleased. I swear Dad, I never laid a hand on her." 

He chuckles, "You remembered what I told you in high school, I guess. Don't do anything you wouldn't want your mother and I to see," which makes him laugh a more. My frown deepens, and he finally stops. "I trust you Nate, but I can see where her grandparents would not. Just let it cool down a little, then you can explain." 

I nod, realizing this is the only possible way to mend things. I pause, thinking how to phrase my next question.  

"Dad, how...uh...do you know...uh...ifyou'reinlove?" The last part comes in a rush of words, and I smile sheepishly. 

"Ah, love," Dad answers, folding his hands behind his head and leaning back in his chair. Again, he studies my face, squinting like he can't quite see. He contiunes on calmly, "Zoe's quite a pretty girl, isn't she?"  

"Yes, beautiful. But what about, you know," I gesture with my hand, not able to spit the word out again. 

"Love?" Dad questions, with a slight chuckle, "Well, son, before we can talk about love, you have to first learn how to say it." 

"Alright. Love. Love, love, love, love, love. There. I said it." 

"Good for you. I'm so proud my son can speak," he says sarcastically. "Nate, you know what I mean. Do you think you love Zoe?" 

"I'm not sure, Dad! I don't know what it feels like, I've never been in love before!" 

Dad sighs. "Nate, no one can describe it. Not the best scholars, not the best lovers, no one. Love has no synonym. When you're in love, you'll know." Quietly, he adds, "It can be hard to realize it at first, though. People have trouble seeing what's in front of their noses. Be honest with yourself, and with Zoe, and you'll find the answer." 

I nod, slightly deflated from not getting the answer I wanted. Why can't there be any clear cut lines to love, or not love?  

"Thanks, Dad," I respond, and start heading out of the study.  

"Nate?" he says when I reach the door. Turning around, I reply, 

"Yeah?" 

"Just don't tell her too late."

Whaddya think? I love the talk Nate had with his dad, I hope everyone has someone, even if not a parent, to talk and pour your heart out to like that. And I think that angry Nate is pretty sexyyyy! ;) haha oh my.

Please don't give up on me, even if I don't update for a while! Thank you my dah-ling readers!<3

COMMENT and VOTE!! :D