Chapter 3: The Morning

Hello beautifuls! This chapter has been edited, and I plan to combine it with the FORMER chapter 5. The chapter numbers are going to get really confusing, so you'll just have to read it all again :)

*Edited*

Chapter 3

Saturday morning, I wake up early. Really early. Meaning, my-alarm-isn't-even-set-and-if-it-was-it-would-still-be-too-early early. I try and fall back asleep, but I all I really do is stare up at the cracks in my ceiling and realize I should probably get them fixed sometime. But what's the point? I'm moving home soon.

Getting out of bed, I decide a run this morning might be in order, since I was sick all last week and didn't go on my daily jog. That's when I remember Nathan.

"See ya around, ok?"

My heart starts to beat a little faster as I imagine his voice, deep and smooth like chocolate. What is happening? He's just a guy...well, the first guy since high school I've actually had a conversation with over two lines long. My excitement mounting, I hurry to get dressed, putting my tennis shoes on and even applying a little mascara.

I need to chill. Who knows if I'll even see him?

Heading outside, I walk to the start of the trail. I look at my watch and begin to time myself as I go along. Running has always been something I love to do, ever since being on the soccer team in high school. I was planning on trying out for the college team, too, but I became too wrapped up in school work. That's when my morning ritual of running came along. It's a great way to get outdoors, stay fit, and de-stress, which I definitely need right now.

This morning is gorgeous.The birds are chirping, the lawn mowers are humming, and someone a little ways back is shouting, perhaps trying to call his dog. I recognize the voice. It's a certain Marine, and he's not yelling his dog's name, he's yelling mine. Blushing, I slow down, and wait for him to catch up. In no time, he is jogging beside me.

"Hey there, Zoe!" he exclaims with a big smile. I notice he's breathing pretty heavily. "Whew, you sure can go fast! I could barely catch up!"

Smiling back, I say, "Morning, Nate!"

Soon we're running in sync, footsteps matching each others.

"So, where'd you learn how to run like that? Or is it just natural talent?" Nate asks me after a while.

"From soccer, mainly," I answer, "But I haven't played that since high school. I started running during college."

"Really? I played too. How was the team?"

"We were the worst in the division. Our best record in my four years was 4-12," I remember, laughing. "Everyone loved the game and the camraderie, but the talent just wasn't there."

"Ouch," he replies, trying to conceal a grin. "I don't want to brag or anything, but we went 14-2 my freshman year."

"Yeah, sure you don't want to brag," I tease. The more I talk to Nathan, the more at ease I feel. It's almost like talking to my older brother, Chris, and his friends. "Have you been able to play lately?"

"Not really... a few guys played pickup soccer in Iraq when we had the time, but nothing organized. I miss it."

"Is that what you meant, the day we met, when you said you haven't been around lately?"

"Yeah, it is. I had just gotten back two nights before."

"Oh...wow. I'm so sorry, didn't know..."