Chapter 16: The Final Days

UPDATE! :) So, warning, this is a REALLY long chapter in my definition. It starts out a little slow, but if you stop reading, you'll miss something REALLY, EXTREMELY important at the end! :) *hint, hint* This will be my last update for a week to two weeks, so hang in there and try not to get to aggravated with me ;) Love you so much! <3

This is dedicated to @BrownSumter for following me! Thanks bunches, dah-ling <3

Pretty please COMMENT and VOTE!!

Chapter 16

Zoe's P.O.V.

You know the feeling when you've been looking forward to something fun, really fun, for weeks before hand? And then the fun event happens, it goes really quickly, and all of a sudden, it's finished? Gone? Almost like it didn't take place? The remaining four weeks with Nate went like that. Now those days are gone, memories of the past, and only two days remain until he leaves.  

****************************

My grandparents were on the war path for a while, very upset of Nathan "taking advantage of their little girl". Somehow, between Marcie and Nate and I, we convinced them that I'm not a little girl anymore, that I can take care of myself, and that nothing happened that night (they are still a little skeptical about the last part). We also persuaded them, very subtley,to leave California a week early. Don't get me wrong, I love my grandparents to pieces, but living with them after a year of "freedom" is kinda a drag.  

So they left. My life returned to as normal as it could be, starting classes again, running in the morning with Nate. A change occured, though. My presence became more or less of a regular at Serther family dinners. Marcie invited me, saying that we have to support each other through this time. I agreed readily, because I had been wonding how I would endure all the worry and pressure on my own.  

Today, two days before he leaves, the town is having a picnic for Nate's going away party. He hates the idea, going to Iraq is nothing to celebrate. I think it's sweet that the town is doing something so nice for him and his family. I dress in a Marines tshirt John gave me, grab some sunglasses and a fancy salad I'm bringing to share.  

When I arrive at the town square, the same place Nathan had his ceremony, I am overwhemled by all the people there, all in red, white, and blue. The park is overflowing! I scan the crowd to find someone from the Serther clan, and see little Jack running circles around a blanket. I head over there, and am greeted by an enthusiastic, 

"HiHi, Zo-Zo!" with a hug around my legs. I ruffle his hair, Jack is one cute seven year old! 

"Hey there, Jackster! Excited for the big day?" 

"Righto, Zo-Zo! All of my bestest friends from school said they were coming! Even my girlfriend!" 

"Girlfriends already, Jacko?" 

"Well, that's what she says at least," he replies with the same lopsided smile his brother gives me. I giggle, and ask, 

"So, where's everyone else?" 

"I dunno. Some imoprtant-looking people took Mommy and Nate away. Daddy's over there with Mark and Scotty and Amy. I dunno where Molly is. Oh, probably with Emma."