Chapter 26: The Lesson

Hello my lovelies! Sorry this chapter is a little short, but I think it works out for the best. Thank you for your support! <3

Chapter 26

Today, I leave California as alone as I was when I arrived. Brian drops me to the airport, still mentioning that the job space is open-he hasn't hired anyone yet.
"You set the standards too high. I'll miss you, Zoe."
"Yes, keep in touch," I say bravely, ready to face my new life back in Maryland.
After three weeks of packing, I feel as ready as I'll ever be for the moved. I tearfully said goodbye to the guys at work, they even managed to plan a little office-goodbye party. I drove around town the last time, and got to say goodbye to the Serthers when Nate was out for a run. Pretty low, I know. But I just couldn't bear seeing his face, that face I feel for. Hard.
As the plane lifts off into the air, I don't know whether to feel joyful for the new chapter in my life or saddened to leave the old one behind. My experiences in California were better than I could of ever hoped-sure, the ending wasn't what I had planned, but life can't be planned. When I step off that plane, Maryland won't know what hit them. Welcome back, Zoe Michaels.

The End

Hahahahahaha just kidding! I wouldn't do that to ya :) Here's the rest of the chapter.

Nathan's P.O.V.

"Hey everybody! I'm back!" I call over the ruckus. It's been summer vacation for a week, and everyone's bored out of their minds. Mom's about to lose hers.
"Oh Nate, thank God you're back. Molly won't stop crying about something," Mom says, as she hands the red-faced, tear streaked toddler over to me.
"Hey baby girl, what's goin' on?" I say softly.
"Soeeee!"
"What, baby girl? C'mon, don't cry."
"Soeeee! I wanna Soeeee!"
That's when it hits me. Zoe. She wants Zoe.
"I know, baby, I want her too, but she's not here! She's at her home."
"Actually, Nate," Mom calls from across the room, "She left today."
"What?"
"For Maryland! She left!" Mom says, aggitated.
"Oh, dam-darn!" I curse, remembering there are kids all around me.
"Nathan said a bad word, Nathan said a bad word!" Scott chants. Immature twelve year olds.
"Oh, Scott, just be quiet," I say, bigger things on my mind.
"Mom, Nate's being mean!"
"Listen to your brother!" Mom yells.
"Ugh, someday I'm going to be older and then I can boss you around," Scott threatens, and I can't help laughing.
I feel a tug on my shorts, and look down. It's Jack.
"Hey man," I say, "What's up?"
"Can you teach me to throw a spiral football today, Nate-o? Scotty won't and Marky's too busy."
"I might be able to, Jackster."
Looking around, I notice Amy's missing.
"She's at Emma's," Mom says, reading my mind.
"Ok, well I'm gonna play football with Jack and take Molly with us, ok?"
"You can leave Moll her, if you want."
She's finally stopped crying, so I deposit her in Mom's arms.
"Ok, Jackster, here's the game plan. We're gonna get our football sunscreen on, then head out to the backyard. Kay?"
"Righto!"
We lather up with sunscreen, mostly on him. After two tours in Iraq, my skin's pretty immune to the harsh sun. We head out to our spacious backyard, and I start instructing.
"So, place your fingers on the laces here, just like this," I demonstrate. "When you throw the ball, it should roll off your finger tips, leaving your middle finger last, ok?"
He nods excitedly.
"The roll off your fingers gives the ball spin, while your arm and the twist in your upper body gives the ball power to go far. Got it?"
"Yessir!" he salutes.
"Ok, back up, and show me."
He executes a loopy spiral, and watches for my reaction.
"That was a great start, Jacko! Did you feel it roll off your fingers?"
"Yup, but not very well."
"Ok, well do it again till it feels normal."
He practices more and more, while I demonstrate some more. After a while, we collapse under the hot sun. Laying on our backs looking up at the blue sky, Jack says,
"I wanna play football when I'm all growed up, Nate."
"That's awesome, Jack, it's a fun sport. It takes a lot of work though," I warn.
"That's ok, Nate-o, if you really love something you don't mind working for it. Today was really fun."
I'm in awe. Jack just put into words what people have been trying to tell me about Zoe. A seven year old helped my love life.
I reach over to ruffle his hair. "It was fun, Jacko." More playfully, I add, "But soccer's better. We gotta get you in to soccer."
"No way!" he says giggling.
"Yes way!"
"Maybe we can try it...but I'ma play football for sure."
"Ok, Jackster, whatever you say."
We head inside, and I think over Jack's words. "If you love something, you don't mind working for it." I've got to prove I'm not going down without a fight. I still love Zoe, and it's going to take a lot to change that.
"Hey, Dad, I've got this idea," I start, when I walk into my dad's office later that day.
"I'm listening," he responds with a hint of a smile.
"Well, I want to pay someone a visit."
"Would that someone live on the east coast?" he ask, catching on.
"Yes, that someone might," I say.
"I think it's a great idea, Nate, but you know we're going on a family vacation next week. It would be a shame if you missed out on that."
I sigh. "I know, it would, but I can't sit around here doing nothing about it!"
"Listen, Zoe will need some time to settle in, anyways. Go on vacation, then leave for your surprise visit."
"Ok. Thanks Dad," I say, satisfied.
"No problem, son," he replies, smiling.
Fight for her. Yes, I think I will.

 Thank you bunches, @coolchicky for following me! Loveee ya <3

Please COMMENT and VOTE! <3