Epilogue: The Marine's Wife

So, here it is my dah-lings!

Epilogue

Zoe's P.O.V.

Nate and I were right, on that brisk afternoon in October, that things would never be boring for us.

My birthday party that night was indescribable-all the love, the joy, the excitement. Amma and Pa were beyond happy, and Chris, well, he eventually got use to the idea. We called Marcie, John, and the whole family later that night to tell them the news, and needless to say, they were thrilled. As Marcie put it bluntly,

"That sure took you long enough, Nate."

We still laugh at that memory.

For another year, we went back to living separately, me in Maryland, and Nate wherever the Marines placed him. I was busy planning the wedding-under Amma's military worthy supervision, of course- when we got the news Nate was going on tour to Iraq again. That was tough, organizing a wedding for someone who may never come back. Nate and I talked every night. In the end, we persevered, and after six months Nathan came back to us, good as new.

The wedding ceremony took place in California, at the Serther's church. It was a beautiful spring day, with all our family and friends around us. Nathan wore his Marine blues, and I wore my mother's dress. When we said "I do", I felt as if I were going to burst with happiness. But the real surprise came when it was time for our first kiss as man and wife. Now, I was expecting quick little peck on the lips, because I know Nate's not that big on PDA. And that's ok. But shy, reserved Nathan leans in, takes me in his arms, and dips me in front of everyone! I was shocked, but very, very pleased.

"What made you do that?" I jokingly asked him later.

"I don't know, but it sure was fun," he responded, winking at me.

Two years went by. We lived on base in Colorado and Oklahoma, until Nate got reassigned to a base a half hour away from his parents, in California. Since we were never settled for long, my career went on hold. We lived in California for a year, in which I found out I was pregnant with our first child. Marcie helped me think up a way to tell him. When he got home that evening, I was preparing pasta.

"Hey babe, do you want to help me reach that sauce up there?"

It was the brand "Prego", so I put a little sign, "I'm" above the Prego part. I was absolutely giddy to see his reaction.

"Sure, here ya go," he said, reaching up for it distractedly, not even seeing the label.

"Uh," I said, trying to improvise, "Would you open it for me? The lid's on really tight."

"Of course, beautiful," he said, opening it easily.

"Pour it into the pot?" I tried. Still no success. "Read me the ingredients please? I'm trying to cut back on our salt intake."

He looked at me like I was crazy. But he did as I asked. Finally, he helped me out.

"Have we ever gotten this brand before, babe? It looks different to me..." he said flipping the jar around. Squinting at the label, he read it, then put it down again. I was ready to give up, and just tell him. But then he picked it up again, noticing something wasn't right.

"I'm...Prego...I'm Prego..." he muttered under his breath. Then it clicked. He looked up at me, and I nodded.

He was ecstatic.

It didn't last long though, because life decided to give us a challenge.

He got the call at work one day, when I was three months pregnant. Nate came home early, and sat me down.