Chapter 10: The Meeting

*Edited. Previous chapters 11 and 12.*

Chapter 10

Zoe's P.O.V.

The doorbell rings right as I'm putting the finishing touches on my egg caserole. Wiping my hands, I go over to answer it. Amma is still getting ready, but Pa's sitting in the living room flipping through a magazine. I look through the peephole in the door to find an eye staring right back at me. Letting out a scream, I run away from the door. I hear deep baritone laughter from outside the door. Pa looks at me in question, but I just shake my head and smile, my heart rate finally settling down. I head over to the door once again. This time, I pull it open and yell at Nate,

"You scared the living daylights out of me! Jeepers!" and pull him in for a hug. He's still shaking with laughter at my reaction.

"Sorry about that, Zo," Nate says, trying to hide his grin, but failing miserably. He kisses me on the cheek, and hands me the flowers that rest in his strong, capable hands.

"Thanks," I say, while swatting him on the shoulder. "But don't think that that's gonna get you out of trouble everytime, Mister."

Remembering that Pa's sitting in the living room, I guide Nathan over for introductions. "Pa, this is my friend Nathan. We met a few months ago on the running trail I pointed out last night, remember?"

Pa nods, and looks over Nathan's direction. "Nice to meet you, young man," he says, bringing out the stiff and formal speech he uses with people he doesn't know.

"You too, Mr Michaels! Zoe's been telling me a lot about you and your wife."

"Huh. Can't say the same of you, Nathan."

I shoot an apologetic look over to Nate, but he smiles reassuringly. Amma comes bustling into the living room, but stops short when she sees Nathan.

"I thought one of your friends was coming over, Zoe," she says cautiously, raising a finely arched eyebrow.

"Yup, Amma," I affir, nodding. "I'd like you to meet Nathan, my friend."

"Oh, well, how nice to meet you, Nathan. Won't you have a seat?" she recovers gracefully.

"Actually, he's going to come help me in the kitchen real quick. Brunch will be ready shortly."

Once we reach the kitchen, I begin to apologise.

"I'm sorry, Nate, I didn't exactly get around to telling them about you or..." I gesture with my hands, "...whatever's going on here."

He smiles. "It's fine, Zoe. No need to worry about it."

"Are you sure, because I feel really awful about it!"

"Yes, it's completely fine. Who knows, the surprise tactic might work best on them, who know?" he winks.

I take a deep breath in attempt to calm down my nerves.

"Ok, ok then, let's put the food out."

As I'm walking out of the kitchen, Nate grabs my hand.

"Zoe, don't worry so much. Everything will be fine."

Nathan's P.O.V.

"So, Nathan, did you grow up around here?" Zoe's grandmother asks. I'm getting the same kind of questioning Zoe got at my house. I slide my eyes over to her, seeing if she notices it too. Zoe does, and rolls those stunning emerald eyes of hers.

"Yes, ma'am. Just ten minutes across town."

"Still live here?" Mr Michaels questions.

"Currently, sir. I'm still waiting for orders to see where I go next."

"Orders?"

"Yes, Pa, orders," Zoe answers for me, "Nate's a Marine."

I meet her grandfather's scrutinizing gaze, which has considerably softened at this latest news.

"I was in the Army, back in the day. Part of the Korean war. I was a doctor, so it's up to you to determine whether I fought or not."

"Of course you fought, sir. The medic might be the toughest job, seeing, and trying desperately to repair, all the battle wounds."

He nods, with a hint of a smile. I passed that question.

"What's your family like, dear?"

In this short time of our aquaintance, I've come to realize Mrs Michaels is not the one to call anyone by their real names. They're always going to be dear, love, or darling in her mind. It's hilarious, actually.

"Well, I have six siblings..."

"Seven children?" she interrups, "God bless your poor mother. I could barely keep up with Chris and Zoe. They had so much energy."

I smile. "Well, Zoe can definitely tell you about all the energy my family has. If you need some extra, just let me know."

She and Mr. Michaels chuckle.

Throughout brunch, I tell them all about my family, interests, the Marines, and how Zoe and I know each other. Zoe interjects a few times, but otherwise she's pretty quiet. When I start to clean up the kitchen, her grandmother stops me.

"You two young people go on a walk or something. It's not good for you to be cooped up with old folks like us all day. Father and I can handle the kitchen, right, darling?"

"Yes, yes, dear. Go ahead, both of you."

We go out on our regualr trail, only walking this time. I'm stuffed, and running would be like a suicide mission. We're walking along quietly, thinking over things. Me, I really need to tell her about Iraq. I've only got 5 weeks left till I'm stationed somewhere else, and I just can't leave that hanging. But how do I tell her?

Before I figure out an answer, Zoe clears her throat.

"Um, Nathan, I was wondering if I could ask a little favor."

"Of couse, what?" my curiosity is peaked.

"Do you have the rest of the day free? Because I thought I might show my grandparents around San Fransisco, but I don't know my way around very well..."

I realize what she's asking. Smiling, I salute her saying, "Tour Guide Nathan at your service."

Zoe breaks out in a smile.

"Thank you so much!" she says, flinging her arms around me. I hug her back, smiling to myself. Something about, well, all of this, just feels so right.

Zoe's P.O.V

My grandparents try to argue that they're fine staying around town, but Nate kindly points out that the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Prison aren't in our town. They finally give in, and become as excited as little kids.

We first hit Alcatraz, taking the ferry over and signing up for a tour. They show us all around the prison, and talk about the most famous prisoner, Al Capone. Amma and Pa even get in one of the cells.

We eat lunch at some restaurant that Nate likes but that I've never heard of. It's mostly seafood from the bay, and really, really good.

Next stop is the Golden Gate bridge, which we walk halfway across, take pictures, then read all about it at the information center. We head over to Lombard Street, which is VERY steep. And, of course, my grandparents wouldn't of gotten the full San Francisco experience if we hadn't taken a ride on the cable cars. You have to hang on to them from the outside, kind of like a firetruck. Nathan held on to me tightly, claiming he was worried I was going to fall off.

We get home that night exhausted.

"So, we'll hit Chinatown and AT&T ballpark tomorrow, right?" Nathan jokes, and we all groan and rub our weary feet.

"Well, I'm going to turn in. That was such an exciting day, dears! Thank you darling, for being our nonofficial tour guide," she says to Nathan, who they really like now. He just charmed his way into their hearts.

"Same here, kids. Thanks, Nathan," Pa adds.

"And then there were two," Nate says to me in a mysterious, hushed voice. He bends down to kiss my forehead, his lean 6'1 frame towering over my small 5'4 one. We stand there quietly for a while, taking in each other's presence. Everything is peaceful for those few calm minutes. Kissing me again, he whispers, "I better get going too, it's been a long day."

"Well, thank you for doing this. I've never had time myself to sightsee, so I wouldn't of been nearly as good of a tour guide as you."

"It was a lotta fun, I haven't seen all those things since I was a teenager. And, you know I would do anything for you, Zoe."

I gulp, not sure how to respond.

"Goodnight, Nate," is all I finally come up with. I have such a way with words, darn it. He smiles slightly, kisses me once more, and lets himself out. With shaky legs, either from all the walking today or from a certain Marine, I get myself ready for bed. Sinking under the covers, I wonder just what I've gotten myself in to.