Home is not Here

"Welcome home!"

"Welcome home!"

But it was never going to be home to sixteen-year-old Chloe White.

     Chloe stood square in the center of the exquisitely decorated foyer and held a single red suitcase and light-jacket. This place would be where she would stay from this day forth.

     She missed her home; her real home back across the seas in Cairo. 

     She had lived there since she was six with her mother and her mother's kind-hearted boyfriend, Tom. All she knew during those times were the warmth of the hot sun, the flavor of summer sweetened dates and the melodic beauty of her mother's singing voice. 

     These beautiful and precious memories were all that was left of them now.

     A large photo rested against the wall with ornate gold framing of a serious, but handsome man in his 40's and a beautiful woman with long, flowing red hair and a small tan dog in hand. 

     The expensive house belonged to her biological father, Henry Martin—a man she barely knew—and his new wife of eight-months.

     The welcoming voice belonged to Ms. Abigail Sweeten, a long time assistant to Chloe's father. She was a pencil thin, plain woman with a long nose and red wire-framed glasses. She reminded Chloe of a bird, fluttering about and chattering non-stop.

     "I'll show you where you room will be. Your father told me that he would be home around 8pm, and your step-mother should be in around 7pm after her Pilates. Dinner will be at 9pm, you should probably dress for that because he will be having guests over." Abigail wasted no time pacing and spouting off the day's agenda.

      Chloe's grip on her suitcase handle tightened. "You can tell Henry that I won't be going to dinner."

     Abigail had a thin-lipped, red smile across her face. She had the kind of fake and haunting smile that never reached her eyes. She pushed her index finger against the bridge of her nose to make sure her glasses were in place like a true OCD person. 

     Her voice was firmer this time, "You will be at dinner. Your father insists."

     Anger quickly rose into Chloe's chest and tears started to brim in her eyes. "Would you please stop calling him my father! Henry got my mother pregnant while he was cheating on his ex-wife and hasn't had anything to do with me until after she divorced him. I will not be going to dinner, my mother is dead! Doesn't that mean anything to you?"

     It had to be a gift to be an unsympathetic, cold and unfeeling person like Ms. Abigail Sweeten. She pressed her leather-bound ledger against her chest and with an expression that said she couldn't care less, she emphasized, "As I said before, dinner will be at 9pm. There is a dress in the closet of your room upstairs. It's the second room to the right, the guest room."