A Huntsmans Offer

During the morning,  just before the sun raised over the horizon, while the boys' dorms would be silent with slumber, the girls were wide awake and preparing their beauty regiments all before breakfast

During the morning, just before the sun raised over the horizon, while the boys' dorms would be silent with slumber, the girls were wide awake and preparing their beauty regiments all before breakfast . . .

      Girls rushed from room-to-room borrowing flat irons, shoes, liquid eyeliner, and even beauty tips. Some latched on corsets under their uniform tops to make their figures look thinner, or body-shaping tights under their skirts. Others rubbed lip stain on their cheeks for rosiness and tugged spongy purple rollers from their golden locks for extra bounce.

     Money Misfits and Scholarship girls alike twirled from space to space.

     There was the pressure to be more than pretty, they had to be perfect.

     The more pretty they could be, the more chance they had to attract a boy one level higher than themselves, in the hopes that one day they would be their wives.

     In all the crazy noise and bustle, Chloe grumpily woke up.

     Her hair was tangled all over her pillow, and her feet hung off the bed. She was not a graceful sleeper. Since her arrival to Darkwood, the morning rituals of the other girls forced her awake much earlier than she'd have liked.

     It was bad enough that she stayed up late studying, but when she finally could get some sleep, a few hours later she would hear pop music blasting and girls talking through her walls.

     Fine. She'd start her day, even if she didn't want to, she'd do it.

     She showered, brushed her teeth, brushed her hair, and moisturized her face. She placed a red ribbon headband against her dark hair and used mascara and . . . she was done. That was her routine, why was everyone else taking so long with theirs?

     Chloe slipped on her white coat and went to get breakfast.

     The dining hall was always open early. It smelled of croissants, hazelnut coffee, fresh-cut strawberries, and hot apple cider. One-by-one students lined up to enter the ordering line. Chloe shivered a bit. The line was moving way too slow and she stood in the chilly doorway.