The Dark Storm

(song: "Close" - Nick Jonas)

"We can expect storms with heavy rainfall moving slowly eastward. The wind will gain strength, with severe gales. Following behind it will be an extreme cold front bringing record lows in temperature. Flood warnings have been issued for—" The television was clicked off.

Chloe stood in front of the blacken television screen with Mrs. Apple who held the remote pointed towards it.

"You best do your work quickly and return to your dorm before this storm reaches us. Darkwood is an old school, there's still a few issues when it comes to the drainage system here. If you wait too long the water outside can get deep." Mrs. Apple advised.

Chloe tried to disguise how nervous she felt.

She knew that somehow she had to find away to get her teacher distracted. This was going to be her one and only opportunity to search her teacher's place for the truth.

"Okay, where should I start?"Chloe asked anxiously.

Mrs. Apple reached for her bedroom door-knob and pulled the door closed soundly.

"You won't be going in my room today." She clarified. "The bathroom is right ahead. You can sort the assignments for tomorrows class in the box by my desk."

"Sure thing, no problem. I know you're probably really busy, so if there's anything you need to do, I don't want you to feel like you have to waste time watching me."Chloe hoped that she didn't make her intentions obvious with her words.

The teacher maintained a deadpan expression and lifted an e-cigarette to her lips to draw a puff. "I will check on you in thirty minutes. I expect to see significant progress when I return."

"Yes, Mrs. Apple," Chloe obediently responded.

Mrs. Apple's flowing black skirt swayed over her ankle-length black boots. She looked once over her shoulder thoughtfully and then she focused attention back to her cigarette before slipping out the front door.

Chloe only had thirty minutes, she had to be quick.

At first she drew out two of the assignments and organized them, just in case her teacher returned and she didn't have time to fake productivity. After she was sure that she had done enough to seem convincing, she started her search.

She began with the most obvious choice first, the computer desk. Most of the drawers were filled with papers relating to student work and submissions. Nothing related to what Chloe was looking for. She needed to find more personal information,and there was only one location she knew people would keep their personals—the forbidden bedroom. . .

There wasn't much time; about 15 more minutes and Mrs. Apple would return.

Chloe practically ran towards the room.Her foot connected with a bump on the rug, causing her to twist her ankle and fall forward. She threw out her arms to catch herself against the arm of the couch, but it was already too late; her ankle was injured.

She mentally cursed herself for being so clumsy, but she had to force herself to hop through the sting of pain.

The bedroom was the one place she knew she couldn't be caught in. If she wasn't out of that room by the time Mrs. Apple returned it was game over. Chloe tested the doorknob and was relieved to find that it was unlocked.

When the doors swung the mirror stared back at her. She could see her own reflection. Her facial features gave away her anxiety clearly.

The scratched letters at the top of the mirror stating "Who is the fairest?" taunted Chloe.