The Heart of a Huntsman

Chloe had tried to spend the day taking notes on her various classes

Chloe had tried to spend the day taking notes on her various classes. The classes tried to force in advanced algorithms, college-level physics, AP literature, and physical education all before lunch. The stack of index cards was starting to make a lot of sense. Despite Chloe's best, she couldn't get out of her mind Mrs. Sara Apple's relation to Elizabeth.

     Why hadn't Dominic told her that he had an aunt working at Darkwood?

     This question plagued her so much that it had prevented her from appreciating the fact Prince went out of his way to actually be seen with her . . . in public.

     When lunch rolled around, Chloe made it her mission to seek out Dominic. He hadn't been in any of her classes and she hadn't seen him since their last encounter a few days ago. She waited with her tray in hand by the register where the students would place their meal orders.

     The twins made their best effort to convince Chloe to join them and the other 'Seven' club members at their table for lunch. She politely told them she would sit with them next time.

     A stunning petite girl with long brown hair, ombre blond tips and enviable lips moved to stand in front of Chloe. She held a bottle of an expensive brand of sparkling water in her hand. The girl had a quartet of friends who waited anxiously behind her.

     The girl folded her arms and cast Chloe a dirty look.

     "He's sick you know," the girl's voice sounded annoyed.

     Chloe glanced around; just to be sure this wasn't a case of mistaken identity. "Excuse me?"

     The girl humored Chloe with a fake smile. "Don't play dumb, I'm talking about Dominic Huntsman. He wasn't feeling well enough already and he went looking for you out in the cold the other morning, only God knows why. He asked me and several of the students if we'd seen you. What business could some newbie little Money Misfit need with a Climber?"

     At this point, Chloe remembered her vow to herself, she would make her mother proud. It was obvious this girl was a Climber, she couldn't be Elite because her uniform was still dark-blue.

     Chloe raised her head to try and look as daunting as the girl before her. "Look, I'm only Dominic's friend, okay? If you're his girlfriend or something, I'm not trying to take him from you."

     The angelic smile on the girls' face was such a contrast to the horrible attitude she possessed. The title of 'girlfriend' seemed to make her eyes glow.

     "Watch yourself in the future, Chloe White. We have eyes on you. Dominic is mine and mine alone. Don't aim for the stars with your hands, they are too far for you to reach," she said.

     The girl turned to join her friends and they left together to find a table. Chloe wasn't even sure what had just taken place. At her old school in Cairo, there weren't really social groups or bullies, just people you either were or weren't friends with.