Den of the Seven

Chloe expected a round table situated in some secret lair

     Everything about Darkwood had a strange ambiance, but it was also elaborate and expensively exaggerated. What she definitely didn't expect was an unfolded card-table under a tree outside in the bitter, winter cold.

     She wore her snow-white coat; the heavy one Abigail had insisted she needed. She felt like a polar-bear in it, but she actually found it to be pretty warm.

     Standing in a circle around the table were six other students, three she'd already been introduced to; Solara, Diana and Sanford. The other three were new faces.

     Sanford cleared his throat and tapped the table with a judge's gavel. "Right! I am Sandford Wiles, president of The Seven and I call this meeting to order. We are here to meet Chloe White, a new student and potential member and explain to her our club mission. We will also in a circle introduce ourselves and give a small personal summary. I will start off with introducing myself—"

     Sanford cleared his throat and shifted his position so he could direct his face towards Chloe across the table. "—I am Sanford Wiles, the only son of Benedict and Martha Wiles. My father started a bakery after my mother passed and named it after her, it became a successful chain of franchise bakeries. I know what it was like to struggle when I was younger and now, clearly, I'm not, but I never forget. My life goals are to become involved with the UN in helping war-torn nations and to pursue medical school despite what anyone else in this school wants for me."

     Chloe could see an honest desire for his goals in life and she admired them. She hadn't even thought about anything regarding her future at all. After the accident she hadn't even thought about how to get through the next day, let alone the rest of her life.

     The next person who spoke was Solara. "Hi Chloe! I'm Solara Stevens; I am actually a huge Japanese manga collector. I have so many, if you ever need someone to read with, I'm your girl. My mother is a best-selling writer in the United States; you might have read some of her books before. She really wanted me to get into literature, but I really just like reading and writing comic books. It makes me feel good! I like doing things that make me feel good about myself."

     Solara's perky personality was contagious, it made Chloe smile just listening to the girl speak.

     Diana stood with perfect posture and had her freshly manicured nails tapping the tables' surface. "I am Diana Langston, vice president of The Seven. Half my family lives here in the UK, the other half lives in Africa. Sanford and I founded this club because our life goals are very similar. I don't see the need to say more than that really."

     A dark-haired Asian girl with a dark-blue heavy coat took her turn. "I'm Charlotte Tang. My grandparents immigrated to the UK from Hong Kong; no I don't have a Chinese name, that's usually the first thing people ask me. I'm born and raised British. My parents are very industrial and feel the pressure to keep the business my grandfather started successful. I plan to give myself the best education I can and to take over the business one day, and yes, I am happy about that. I'm involved in The Seven because I like the mission statement and I've found really good friends in this club. They keep me grounded, and in a place like this, that's something you need."

     The final two members looked exactly alike, two blonde-haired boys with silly smiles. "I'm Luca and this is my clone—" The other boy shoved Luca playfully. "—sorry, he is my twin brother Fynn. Our parents are German and own an Architecture firm. Even though our families well-to-do, it's expensive for our parents to send both of us to this school." Fynn then chimed in to add his view, "We're barely Money Misfits. We don't love building on the ground, we love being in the sky. Our goals in life are to be pilots and run a private charter company."

     Everyone had finished introducing themselves and finally all eyes laid on Chloe. Did she have to introduce herself too?

     Chloe linked her gloved fingers together to keep from feeling nervous about all the attention she was getting. "I'm Chloe White. I spent the early part of my childhood in the US and the rest of my life in Cairo, Egypt with my mother. I never thought about money, or the future. I thought about simple things, like if I should or shouldn't flat iron my hair that day or if I wanted pancakes or French toast. I went to an international school my mother and her boyfriend were teachers at. I will spare you the details, but that's not my life now. My first experience to this kind of life was with my father and his wife, and I've seen how it's corrupted him and her. I guess my goal is to figure out who I am and how to get through each day."

     The other six exchanged glances with one another before nodding. Chloe couldn't tell if that was a good or bad sign.

     Sanford continued to lead the meeting. "Our mission statement is to mine for hidden gems. Not literally, but figuratively. Inside everyone is a hidden gem, and that gem is what makes up a person and who they really are. We offer an oasis in this insane place where the hidden gems can be safe. We do community service projects and we believe that just seven people doing good things can change everything. Chloe White, when I met you I could see that hidden gem. All those in favor of having Chloe White be the seventh member of our club please vote with a show of hands."

     All six lifted their hands in agreement.

     "Then the motion has passed. We welcome you, Chloe White, to The Seven."

     Chloe wasn't sure even what to say. An overwhelming feeling was growing inside her. She gazed around at the six faces standing around the table. With all the bad things said about Darkwood and the foreboding visuals, right now, she couldn't see any of that. These people were going to be her friends, through whatever my come. It felt like a relief.

     "White! I found you!" A smooth voice spoke.

     And just like that, her relief deflated. She knew that voice by now. She turned with the expectation of seeing Dominic and was correct.

     "I'm in a meeting." Chloe tossed the words over her shoulder.

     Dominic waved to the other six. "Hello everyone, I'm White's friend, Dominic. I know most of you recognize me from around school, but this is my formal introduction. White, I'll be waiting for you in the school restaurant."

     The other six waved in return to Dominic, but didn't say a word until he was out of ear shot. Solara reached out her hands to grip against Chloe's wrist. "You're friends with Dominic Huntsman?"

     Chloe didn't see what the big deal was. "We're not friends, I barely even know him, I would describe him as an acquaintance."

     "He is her friend, he insisted on helping her get situated yesterday." Sanford butt-in.

     Diana explained the situation. "He's a Climber. Climbers don't socialize with Money Misfits, they only socialize with each other and Elites. The fact he introduced you to us as his friend is him clearly making a statement against the social casting system in here. While I'm all for that, you better be careful, White. There's a lot of students and faculty here that won't like that."

"