The Lone Princess

Prince and Chloe were standing in a quaint little costume shop located in a small town half an hour from Darkwood.

When Prince suggested to Chloe the idea of going away with him, she expected something expensive and lavish. She was relieved when they arrived by car in front of the small costume shop. The shop keeper was an old man who looked like he'd been in business for years, but Chloe knew it couldn't be doing well. Most of the masks were worn and covered with dust. There were magic kits from the mid-90's still up at the top of the shelves.

Prince handed her a blonde wig and large sunglasses. "So you have to assume an identity and we have to wear these."

Chloe took hold of the wig and placed it on top of her head. She tucked her hair into it and checked her reflection in the mirror.

Yikes, she wasn't sure if she liked herself as a blonde.

Prince placed on a Sherlock Holmes hat and fake thick glasses. He looked so silly Chloe couldn't help, but laugh at him.

"If the idea is to draw attention away from us, we'd fail if we wore this stuff," she laughed.

He took off the hat and tried on a red and green baseball cap. "Well, sadly my family is in the news more since my step-sister decided to become a socialite. Now everyone knows I'm the heir to my family's business and they've started photographing me. So, better to be safe than sorry."

"Fine. But you'll regret this because I've decided on a name. . ." Chloe placed on the sunglasses and flipped her blonde hair. "I'm Mimi the Blonde from Cincinnati, my dreams are to be a singer and make it big in L.A.!"

Prince slapped on a fake mustache. "I'm Steve the refrigeration repair man. I am ordinary in every possible way."

"Okay, you know what, I think you need to leave behind the mustache." She tried to sound serious about it, but her smile gave everything away. Chloe really was having a good time.

They left the costume shop as Steve—minus the mustache—and Mimi. They walked down the street like ordinary teens. For the time being, life was simple. Chloe pointed out dresses she liked in the windows of tiny shops.

Round-bellied middle-aged men scuttled into the town pub with rosy cheeks. A chalkboard sign listed proudly: OUR FISH AND CHIPS ARE THE BEST.

"You know what we haven't had yet? Fish and chips. Come on, we have to eat that," Chloe begged.

Prince lifted his arms in surrender. "Okay, okay, let's go."

When they finally got inside the pub they found the interior to be traditional. Everything looked old and wooden. A scuffed wood bar top, several posters and flags from favorite football teams, and old heavy tables and chairs. The bartender was an old man with a handlebar mustache that looked like the fake one Prince had tried to wear earlier. Chloe and Prince both glanced at each other and knew they were sharing the same thoughts about it.

"Welcome, have a seat and we'll be with you in a moment," The barkeep said while wiping out a glass.

Chloe picked a booth off in the corner of the bar. It felt good to be inside a place that was so warm. She shrugged off her coat a little.

Prince slid into the seat opposite of Chloe's and decided that no one here cared who they were. He removed his "Steve" hat and glasses. Chloe followed suit and let her "Mimi" wig get piled with her coat.

"I think we're safe. I don't think anyone under 25 even lives in this town," Chloe teased.

Prince smiled that kind of smile that just seems to make everything feel better. "Are you glad we snuck out?"