Chapter 12 Lonely Beach

I took Shadow's hand self consciously. We were walking through the forest... again. And I wasn't very fond of it. It seemed gloomy but it was hard to be gloomy when I had Shadow back. I almost stopped dead in my tracks when I suddenly thought of Sonic. What would he think of me? I flinched a little and stared up at Shadow, whom looked at the forest ahead of himself as he walked.

I squinted my eyes. What if he could read my thoughts? I wonder, what would his reaction be if I reimagined Sonic kiss over and over again. I was such in a daze that it took me a few seconds to notice that he was staring back.

"What?" He asked as he looked into my narrowed eyes.
I snapped out of my daze; my eyes grew wide and the blood rushed to my cheeks.
For a second, I consciously accused him of mind reading (I have done this so many times with people).
"I–" I panicked a little and sighed.
"I'm just glad your back" I said, telling partially the truth.
He lifted his chin a little bit. It looked like he wanted to say something, but I couldn't tell. Was he a little scared to tell me his feelings? Or was he not ready yet? Perhaps he didn't trust me.
I flinched at the thought. That's exactly what I had told myself numerous times with Sonic.

I looked at the handsome hedgehog beside me. But this wasn't Sonic. And I wasn't looking to repeat history with him. We came through the tree line.
I thought I was going to faint.
It was the beach where I almost drowned. I looked down the shore line. I could barely make out the place where I had my birthday party. The only way I could tell, was the tree that knuckles had punched down.

"Nice spot here" I said as I forced my thoughts down my throat to make way for these ones.
"Mhm" was the only muffled agreement he gave me.
"Want to go swimming?" I asked as I took off my shoes. He stared off as gentle waves hit the shore. It was a gentle day and the water was clear.
I was glad that I was already in my bathing suit.
"...maybe..." was all he managed.
I narrowed my eyes at him.
"You're acting just like Sonic" I pouted. He raised an eyebrow and walked over.

I jerked my head away, eyes closed and nose in the air like a spoiled, pouting, brat. I jerked in shock as I felt his hands on my waist and I was lifted up.
My eyes flew open and I looked around.
I gasped as I hit the water. It was shallow but none the less, surprising.
I looked up at him, confused to why he had done that. I saw him take off his shoes and gloves. He dived into the water, going out of sight for moments. I looked around quizzically.

I felt him grab me once again and bring me farther into the water, his feet pushing himself off the shallow waters.
"Would Sonic do this?" He whispered in my ear.
I blushed. I felt like he was trying to act mysterious. But then again, that was just his normal personality. He wasn't trying to. He was just being himself.

He let go and swam peacefully around.
I looked down in the water and suddenly saw a glimpse of something shine. My eyes widened and I looked over at Shadow, to see if he was looking. He was laying on his back, paddling softly. I turned back to the mystery object and dove under, trying to make my splashes quiet.

I grabbed the shinny object. I swam back up and broke the surface. I could feel the object, it was smooth, and I quickly hid it in my suit. I swam over to Shadow and floated on my back beside him. "It's a nice day, hm?" I asked rhetorically.
He nodded and I smiled. I looked back at shore and I could see the faint movement of one of the bushes. My heart skipped a beat and I stood up, the water coming to my shoulders.

"Shadow" I whispered.
"I think there is something in that bush." Shadow rolled his eyes.
"Rose, it's just your imagination. Probably just this wind." I looked around. It wasn't windy at all today.
But I suppose I had a good imagination.
"Want to eat now?" He asked.
"Yeah, sure!" I said, feeling relieved to finding something that will take my mind off of the strange rustle.

I watched him walk out of the water. I blushed a little. It was quite mesmerizing, to be honest.
I carried on just behind him and he laid out a blanket on the sand.
I felt like I had been on this part of the beach before. Could I have been?

Shadow walked me back home, our arms linked. We withdrew when he got to the bottom of my stairs.
"Goodnight, miss Rose" he said.
"Goodnight, Shadow" I said. He turned, and I watched until he turned the corner out of sight. I sighed, and walked in and turned on the lights. I looked around my clean living room and Smiled happily. Rouge really knew how to clean fast.

I put my hands on my hips, and suddenly felt something through my bathing suit cover. I fished it out and looked down at it; seeing it for the first time, clearly. It was a gold plated ring with a emerald. It had a small engraving inside that read "Rose." I nearly fainted. This must have been Sonic's birthday gift to me. I suddenly stood up straight.

That beach. That was the beach where I saw Sonic the night I pursued after him over the water. That must have been what he was doing there. I looked down at it, and hesitantly slipped it on for the first time. It shimmered in the light.
But why did he throw it away instead of giving it to me? I wanted to figure it out.

I got up. And without thinking of what Shadow might think about such a thing, I changed into my blue dress and left the house, the sky telling me it was nearing nine-ish.
I was looking for answers.

Or was I just looking for another excuse to chase Sonic again?

A/n: I HOPE THIS FEEDS YOUR SHADAMY CRAVINGS, CAUSE I KNOW IM BEING A LAZY WRITER (*'ο'*) HAVE A FABULOUS TIME, MY FABULOUS READERS  (^_^)