Chapter 14 Dark room, bright love

I paced back and forth in the white hospital. The ambulance had picked Sonic up, and now he was in surgery or something like that.
After I called the ambulance, Shadow left. I don't know where he was going, but I had to stay with Sonic until the ambulance came.

Now, here I was, worried sick about Sonics condition. I didn't know if he was going to live. I rolled the ring in my fingers and stared down at the floor. What was I going to do if he died? My eyes welled up with tears and I whipped them away furiously.
I couldn't afford to think like that. But at least I still had Shadow... right? I furrowed my eyebrows. Maybe Shadow was done with me, for good.

I jumped up when I saw the door suddenly open, a light blue female hedgehog doctor, came walking out, scribbling on her not pad.
"Is he going to be ok?" I whispered. She looked up at me, and scribbled one last thing down.

"In his condition, I would say that he's looking good... so far. There are no clear results, but the most likely probability is that he'll live."
I cracked a relieved smile, and sat down. "But now, I do need to ask you some questions" she continued. I frowned for a second, but lightened up again.

"What is your connection to Sonic?"
"Friend"
"Is there and health problems or things that we should know about him?"
"No, he's perfect." I bit my tongue for that one.
"Alright, and how did all this happen?" She finally asked.

I sighed. I couldn't rat Shadow out to the doctors. But it may mean saving Sonics lfie.
"He– my friend– well... he was hit by a powerful energy." I hoped that would suffice her need for an explanation. She looked like she wanted to say more, but left it at that.

"Were there any similar happenings in his past such as this?"
A montage of all the times Sonic was in, or close to an explosion or being hurt, ran through my mind.
But none were he got this hurt.
"No." With that, she got up.
"We will tell you when you can visit" she notified, then left.

I had stayed awake for most of the night, but fell asleep in my chair.
I didn't wake up until 6 am. I woke up, confused, as the room was almost pitch black. I realized with a jolt that it wasn't the hospital.

It was a room with the curtains pulled closed, so barely any morning light got in, if there was any. The ticking of a clock filled the room other than my heart beating, my thoughts, and my breathe.
I was on a comfy couch, actually really familiar.

I looked across the room, and there I saw dim red eyes, glinting in the dark. First bewildered, than relieved. Shadow, sitting in a arm chair across from me, watching.
It sent a chill down my spine, but didn't faze the happiness. But the happiness was replaced with confusion. This wasn't the hospital. This was my house. I recognized the familiar couch I laid on, and the familiar arm chair he sat in across from me.

"Shadow, whats going on?"
He stayed the same way he was, staring back at me as if I never said a thing. His eyes slowly scanned the room.
"You shouldn't fall asleep in hospital hallways" he said. His voice was flat. No texture what so ever.
"I need to go back and see Sonic. He– he could be..." but I couldn't finish. I couldn't afford to think that way in fear that it would become true.

"Of course" he said, his eyes and voice going rather bored.
"You're so enwrapped in the blue blur that I wonder how you have time for me."
"I have given you everything and you know that. Rouge told you that it's hard for me to just give up on someone randomly." My voice cracked. It felt like I was going to cry.

His eyes widened and met mine.
"I knew I heard something in the bush that day" he breathed.
I flinched. Was he changing his mind? His eyes glinted with a spark of coldness.

Narrator pov

"Shadow, take me back to the..."
Shadow rose from the arm chair, silencing amy without need of word.
"Alright, Rose" he said, his voice low. "Go to Sonic. I think it's best that way." Amy shot up.
"Oh no you don't" she said, grabbing his hand. He looked surprised, but before he could correctly react, she ran out the door with him. It was raining, and water drops landed in puddles.

"Amy, no" he shouted, ripping out of her grasp.
"I will not be dragged around!"
"And I will not let our relationship end! At least not like this!" She cried out.
Her eyes filled with tears.
It felt like the same day she had met Shadow. Her heart in pain, cold, wet and feeling torn and confused. Except this time, she knew who she loved.

She lightly felt arms around her. Just like that day.
"I love you Shadow. But I need to see my friend" she managed.
He slowly let go, but nodded.
Shadow was ok with the hospital, so far. It felt like a weight lifted off her shoulders to know everything was alright.

She could see the hospital in the distance.
As soon as Amy hit those doors and climbed those stairs, she would get the final new.

And she wasn't sure if she would be able to take it.