Mr. Pancake's magic show (part one)

Ferry has been thinking a thousand times whether to tell Ben and Mattilda the truth about himself. The visit at May's, but mostly the fact that she also believed in fairies, finally determined him to make up his mind. So he decided they should all meet at Ben's, for his room seemed the safest place for revealing such an important secret.

But when he sat on the chair in front of his friends, his courage faded away. They waited for a few minutes, watching Ferry fussing on the chair. Matilda's patience eventually came to an end.

"I hope you know Dad doesn't let me visit other classmates," she said as her foot was beginning to tap. "I had to tell him I'm going to the library."

On such a lame excuse, Ben could hardly hold himself from laughing; but once meeting Matilda's squint, he stopped and looked away.

Ferry took a deep breath and then finally said, "I need to tell you a secret about me. But you have to promise you won't say anything to anyone until the end of your lives."

"All right, we promise," said Ben. His eyes were sparkling with curiosity.

"Oh, no. Not like that," said Ferry. "You have to swear first."

"We swear," said Matt, whose foot's tapping increased.

Ferry gave it a little thought and then said, "So be it! Repeat after me. Ben, you're first. I swear..."

"I swear..." Ben repeated.

"... to be hit by lightning..." continued Ferry.

"... to be hit by lightning..." said Ben with a trembling voice.

"... and the lightning to get through my brain..."

"... and the lightning to get through my brain... Wait! What?!" asked Ben slightly worried.

But Ferry continued, "... and not know what two plus two equals, nor my name..."

Ben repeated with a frightened look on his face, "... to be the dumbest child in school, and stay in the third grade for the rest of my life..."

Ben was now merely whispering while repeating the oath.

"... if I'll ever tell what Ferry is going to tell me," Ferry ended triumphantly.

Ben could now breathe easily, "... if I'll ever tell what Ferry is going to tell me!" he said.

"And..." Ferry continued to Ben's exasperation, "all the two-year-old children to laugh at me and become the town's fool..."

Ben repeated after Ferry in half-voice.

"... if I'll ever tell what Ferry is going to tell me!" Ferry finally said.

Ben finished the oath almost in tears.

"Now it's your turn, Matt," said Ferry, acting as a judge in a court.

But before he could say anything, Matilda was already ahead of him, "I swear that if I tell what Ferry is going to tell me, my brain will hit by lightning..."

"No, wait!" Ferry interrupted her. "Your oath has to be different. Repeat after me, "I swear,"

Matilda repeated without much enthusiasm.

But Ferry continued untroubled, "... to be hit by lightning and become crippled, and not be able to climb the lowest branch..."

Matilda was slightly irritated, mumbling, "... lightning... crippled... branch..."

"... to crawl like a worm..."

Matilda's irritation increased. Ferry continued without minding her, "... and my family to move me around and forget about me when the time is hot..."