The lost child

The air was still when they came out of his sister's house. The air was always still when something out of the ordinary was to happen. In the garden, they could only hear the crackling of the logs in the fire. They were all waiting for the mysterious guest. Lavender leaned on Ferry's arm and they both headed towards the quiet group of children, grown-ups, and fairies.

 Lavender leaned on Ferry's arm and they both headed towards the quiet group of children, grown-ups, and fairies

The night turned chillier all of a sudden, and a milky fog fell over the cottage and the garden. The voices of the night were also silent. Somewhere, beyond the fog that surrounded them, they heard the trample of hooves. From inside the mist, a terrible creature emerged. The children gasped. Even Ferry shivered, although he had seen him before. It was a stout being, half-human, half-goat, walking firmly toward them. A long, thick cloak wrapped him, and the lower part of his body, with the hooves coming out, was covered by a shiny armor. He was wearing a bow on his shoulder, and a flute of shiny black wood at his waist. His enormous head was adorned with big horns that wriggled to the back of his head like a wreath of laurels.

"It's Mr. Pancake," the children whispered, shivering.

 Pancake," the children whispered, shivering

His yellow eyes studied each one, then stopped on Lavender. The old fairy smiled at him and the Pan ─ because that's what he was ─ came in front of her as if the others never existed. He kneeled in front of her and stayed there with his head bowed until Lavender gently touched his shoulder. He slowly raised his beastly eyes towards her and stood up.

"It's been so long, Lord Stephan," she said.

"Indeed, Milady," he answered. "Too long..."

Lavender beckoned him and they both sat by the fire under the curious gaze of the others.

"How was your journey?" she asked.

"Longer than expected, unfortunately," he said in a thundering voice. "The main door between the worlds is now kept watch and ward over by the servants of the Hallows. So I took advantage of the Midsummer when other doors to the world of humans are open and I could wind my way. But then, I had to get here by passing by the world of humans. It took me a while to hide from the peeking humans in forests, or deserted sites."