The fairy sister

Mrs. Cobbs's disappearance after Ferry's visit made some eyebrows raising. But since no one could prove anything ─ Mrs. Cobbs has been under police surveillance, the whole time ─ the people of Goodharts went back to their day-to-day lives. Still, the guesses and theories didn't stop. A sign that all the local people have returned to the most pleasant occupation during summer ─ making up and sharing new theories. The vigilant, responsible citizens of the town had destroyed the tunnel, with Mrs. Nosey as their leader. Although long passed by their middle age, they could still ─ or at least they thought they could ─ knock down whoever would have dared to endanger the town's peace and security. But with all their vigilance, no one saw Mrs.Cobbs going out of her house that evening; no one would ever see her again, for that matter.

"I bet she has a portal hidden in her house, just like the one in Shepherd's Forest," Ben came up with the idea, trying to keep up with his friends. All three were now heading towards the ice-cream van at the end of the street. Ever since they had returned from fairyland, Ben didn't stop flooding them with questions about the amazing, mysterious places they visited. Ferry tried to tell him all about the letter. But each detail brought other questions and Ben's examination didn't seem like ending too soon. Ferry tried to be patient and give Ben all the information he needed ─ which he meticulously wrote down in his notebook. In the end, he owed him that much. If Ben hadn't alerted Lavender Sky, they would have all been prisoners in Tenalach forever.

But in public, Ferry avoided talking about it. Whilst Matilda didn't mention it at all, not even when they were alone.

"Ben, if we wait for you much longer, the ice-cream van will leave," she bristled up. Since the van was not visiting Goodharts very often, Ben thought the possibilities and stopped inquiring Ferry. At least, for the moment.

They could barely make themselves room through the crowd of noisy children around the van. When their turn came, the salesman gave each one an ice-cream cone. Matilda had a chocolate one and Ben one of watermelon flavor. Ferry couldn't decide. And then the salesman suggested him an apple and cinnamon flavored one. He offered it to Ferry before he could figure out where he had heard that voice before.

"You have some queer taste," said Matilda, making a weary face. "How can you eat an ice-cream with the flavor of a cake? Cake and ice-cream should be two different things."

But Ferry was not paying attention. Across the street, May, Cecilia, and two other girls from their class also enjoyed their ice-creams. Ferry hasn't been talking to May since he came back. He had imagined the moment a hundred times. What was he going to tell her? How was she going to react? He knew she was somehow connected to fairyland. Her grandmother had given her the Moon's Tear for him. Ferry wouldn't have made it without it.

"You know, you could go and talk to her instead of bumping into people," Matilda told him while trying to remove an ice-cream stain off her blouse.

But when he found himself in front of her, he choked on his words. "Well, well, if it isn't the town's hero," said Cecilia making a face. "See you at the playground, May, after you finish talking to Mister Hero," she said while walking away.

"Don't mind her," said May placatory. She wore a white, little dress with a floral pattern and she had fresh flowers in her hair. "How are you?" she asked, pecking at her mint ice-cream.

"I'm fine..." he mumbled, trying to find his words. His ice-cream was melting and a drop fell on his shoe. They both headed towards the central square where people of all ages gathered every evening when the heat faded away.

Ferry felt he needed to tell May. About the fairies and about himself. He couldn't keep his true nature hidden. Not from May.

"Listen, May," he gathered courage, "what happened in the forest it's not what the local people think. A lot of things happened in that place. Things I can't really talk about..."