Chapter 1

Elena breathed in the cool London air. This is where she'd be staying for the next 12 months. She gazed at her surroundings. It was so beautiful. Horns beeped and she was suddenly shoved as people walked by. "Sorry," she called out, and walked out of the middle of the crosswalk. A small town girl from Virginia was not used to the hustle and bustle of the city.

"Let's go!" her fellow friend, and only other American exchange student, called to her. She met her friends gaze, and scurried over to her.

"Sorry about that Lacey," Elena apologized.

"It's okay. But let's keep up with that tour guide so we know where the heck we're sleeping!" Lacey exclaimed, then raced off after their tour guide.

Elena gasped at the realization and quickly followed her friend, lugging her giant suitcase behind. She broke out into a semi-sprint until she finally caught up with them.

Elena bent over, panting heavily. Their elderly and confused tour guide Betsy turned around. "Why, dear, we just got off the trolley! If I would've known you get winded so easily I would've rented you a bike! They're quite helpful!"

Lacey laughed and pointed at her friend. "She's fine. I think she just has an allergy. That's why her face is red and the reason she's panting like a dog."

Elena nodded approvingly at the lie, then finally composed herself.

"Alright, then. I have some allergy medicine if you-" Betsy began, but Elena cut her off with a nervous laugh.

"It's okay! Thank you," Elena interrupted, then forced a wide smile. "Feeling better already."

Betsy arched an eyebrow, but then chose to ignore the girls and continue walking.

Elena dropped the fake smile as soon as Betsy turned around, while Lacey shook her head at her in disappointment.

"You need to learn a few things about lying, Ellie. You're too much of a good girl," Lacey whispered, and with that, she kept following Betsy.

Elena huffed and stomped her feet. "I'm most certainly not a good girl!" she exclaimed to Lacey. "I'm independent and fearless! And I sometimes don't say thank you when I get off the bus!"

She then looked around nervously as the next wave of people began to cross the street. Images of strangers potentially kidnapping her flooded her mind. The thought that she could be standing next to a murderer invaded her thoughts as well. Elena fought the urge to run away, but she couldn't help it. Today was not her day to be unafraid. "Wait for me!" she squeaked, and ran after her friend.

She caught up to Lacey and Betsy, and twisted her brow in confusion when she realized that they'd stopped walking.

"Here we are, girls," Betsy smiled and gestured to the big complex they stopped in front of. "This is where you'll sleep during your stay. These are the school dormitories."

Elena nodded, then took in the building. "Wow," she murmured, her wide eyes darting around the structure. The architecture was amazing. She would've thought it was a five star hotel if she hadn't paid for it.

"Sweet," Lacey chuckled. "Do we get roommates?"

"Of course," Betsy said dramatically, seemingly for Lacey's amusement.

The three stepped inside the building and was immediately greeted by the students there. A girl with brown hair and green eyes was the first to greet them.