Chapter 9

"Next activity!" Louise announced excitedly, glancing over the art club members.

Elena sighed and rested her head on the desk. There was only one activity that took place so far and she was already exhausted. Thomas kept acting snooty and Steven wouldn't stop asking Elena questions. He was infatuated with her and they'd just met. Arthur was just staring up at the ceiling, which normally would've bothered Elena, but not anymore.

"We're going to be making Valentines Day cards for tomorrow's event," Louise squealed, waking Elena up from her stupor.

Numerous boys groaned in annoyance. Martha sighed and stood up to address the issue. She glared at the boys. "Shut up, you pansies. You know this is a tradition."

Thomas chuckled. "Does Ms. Martha have a Valentine's Day crush?"

Martha widened her eyes. "Excuse me?"

"I'm just saying. You seem so gung-ho about this 'tradition'," Thomas shrugged with a smirk.

"Listen here, you bloody pest," Martha growled, walking over to Thomas. "If you-"

"STOP!" Louise yelled, rushing up between the two students. "Just stop!"

"Yeah," Elena sighed. "Can't you two just get along?"

"Kick his damn arse out!" Martha yelled, pointing at Thomas.

"He can change!" Louise frantically shrieked. "We have to give him a chance!"

Those words echoed in Elena's mind. He can change. Could he?

Stop, she thought angrily. Who cares about Thomas. He won't ever change. But no. Elena wouldn't accept that fate.

"I don't think that's humanly possible," Thomas said, a grin still on his face.

"You," Elena hissed, pointing at Thomas. "If you ever want to change, you need to wipe that smirk off your face."

Thomas stood up and walked over to Elena. "In case you didn't notice, sweet heart," he said. "I was joking when I said I wanted to be a good child."

"I don't care," Elena said embarrassingly. She leaned in closer to his face and stared at him seriously. "You're going to be a good child and make Lacey my friend again."

Thomas laughed. "What? Lacey hates you. By the way she bad mouths you, I don't think she's ever going to be your friend again."

Elena's heart stung with pain. Lacey... really did hate her? Deep down inside, she thought Lacey was just pretending. Putting on a show. She frowned and stared at the ground, a tear blurring her vision.

"Nevermind," Elena mumbled, walking away. "Molly was right. There isn't any helping you."

Thomas frowned, suddenly regretting his words at her reaction. He felt a pang of guilt in his stomach, which was something he didn't experience very often. "Hey, hold up," he called out.

Elena turned around swiftly and shot him a warning glare. "Just stop. I think you already know what I'm going to tell you." She grabbed the door knob and twisted it open, quickly exiting the room.

"Way to go, Mr. Suave," Martha mumbled to Thomas, crossing her arms.

Thomas sighed and leaned up against the wall while Louise attempted to calm down the club members who were chatting away. He scratched the back of his head.