Chapter 8

Elena carefully took a step forward as she entered the room. Students scattered about, conversing happily. She glanced down at the flyer in her hand to make sure it was the right room. Yep.

She nervously entered the art room. People glanced over at her curiously. "Uh, hi," Elena waved.

A blonde girl emerged from the group of students and walked up to her, a smile plastered on her face. "Hi! I'm Louise Weathersbee."

"Hi, I'm Elena," she responded. A boy was staring at her with his mouth wide open, making her feel extremely uncomfortable.

"I'm basically the girl who runs art club," Louise said, then gestured to a girl behind her who had short brown hair and a nose piercing. She looked bored to death. "And this is Martha. She is the other one in charge."

Martha slowly glanced over at Elena, her dark eyes staring into hers. "Hey," she mumbled.

"How about we introduce you to everyone?" Louise suggested way too excitedly. She tugged on Elena's arm and dragged her away.

Louise pointed to a boy with black hair and a green sweatshirt. "This is Benjamin."

She moved down the line, naming each student. Then she stopped at the boy who was gawking at Elena earlier.

"This... is Steven," Louise announced. She leaned in closer to Elena. "He is kind of weird," she whispered.

Steven awkwardly waved at Elena, his mouth slightly open. "Hi," he said.

"Uh... hey?" Elena replied nervously. She cracked a smile.

"Wow you're... pretty. UH I mean, I didn't say that. I meant that you're pretty cool," Steven smirked, a blush forming on his cheeks.

"Thanks," Elena smiled graciously.

"Let's keep on moving down the line here," Louise suggested. She towed Elena along, introducing her to the rest of the students.

"I'm happy to be here. Thank you," Elena nodded to the club members when the introductions were over.

"Tell us about yourself, Elena," Louise said, her and the other club members forming a circle around her.

"Well, I'm from Michigan and I obviously love art."

A boy raised his hand. "What's Michigan?"

Martha groaned. "It's a state in America. Bloody idiot."

"Hey! Let's all be nice here," Louise exclaimed angrily. She refocused her attention back on Elena and smiled. "Please continue."

Elena laughed slowly before continuing. "I worked at Burger King before I came here. I also have a little sister back home."

Martha raised her hand. She turned her head towards the same boy that had asked what Michigan was and smirked. "Burger King is a food joint in America, Arthur. You get that?"

Arthur nodded slowly, seemingly unaware of her mocking. He smiled. "Ohhhh. Thanks Martha."

Martha rolled her eyes before Elena began talking again.