Chapter 2

"What's your deal, huh?" the girl exclaimed at Elena. Her eyes were full of fire.

Elena cowered away in fear from the raged girl. Where was Lacey?

"Please, I-I don't want any trouble. I thought you were my friend," Elena confessed shakily.

The blonde girl continued staring at Elena with an annoyed look on her face, when her attention was taken away by a voice.

"Elena!" a familiar voice yelled. She turned around and Lacey was looking at her with a confused expression on her face.

"You know this girl?" the raged female shouted at Lacey from behind Elena.

Lacey began jogging up to them. "Dixie, this is my friend, Elena. She didn't mean any trouble," she said to the girl.

Elena scooted away and hid behind her friend. Why did Lacey know who that girl was? They were nothing alike. They couldn't have been new friends, could they?

"Wow, we were so wrong about you," Dixie laughed mockingly at Lacey. "Anyone who is friends with a pipsqueak like her should be ashamed."

Dixie glanced behind herself, at what Elena assumed was her boyfriend, and they shared a smirk. The boy had dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. He had a cocky grin on his face, and sat in a way that said "rebel." Elena broke her glance when he looked her way.

Lacey stood silent, the awkwardness unsettling.

"Well, we better be going," Dixie announced, and the boy stood up with her. She locked arms with him. "Why don't you goodie goodies go draw some pictures together, yeah?"

Elena clenched her fists, and her eyes watered a bit. She looked down at the floor so they couldn't read her face.

They walked away, Dixie's black pumps clicking against the floor. Elena hoped that she wouldn't have to see them during school.

"Elena! Lacey!" Molly shouted.

Elena spun around on her heels and saw Molly and Dillon walking up to them. Molly's face froze at Elena's expression, and then she glanced at Lacey who remained staring at the floor.

"Don't tell me you two had a confrontation with-" Dillon gasped and then stopped.

Elena didn't answer, and instead turned her head towards Lacey. By now, she had at least stopped staring at the floor.

"Lacey-" Elena began, but Lacey cut her off with an icy glare.

Elena's breath caught in her throat, and she watched as Lacey walked away from them.

"You don't wanna be friends with them!" Molly yelled after her.

Lacey ignored her and continued walking. Elena scratched the back of her neck and stared at the floor, embarrassed.

Molly patted her on the shoulder. "It's alright, I'm sure you're hungry. Let's get food."

After they finished eating lunch, it was practically dark by that time. "What time is it?" Elena asked. She would've pulled out her phone, but it was in her room.

Molly flicked up her wrist and checked her watch. "4:21," she replied casually.

"Wow," Elena replied, rubbing her temples.