.:4:. Release

For every word of good news that one hears, there's always a 'but' at the end. That was the conclusion that Divan had long since come to.

"So we're free to go, but we're not human anymore?" Brian confirmed.

"...Yes."

The hesitation in Elizabeth's voice raised suspicions in Divan's mind. Suspicions he hadn't even bothered to allow his mind to mull about before, inspired largely by the collection of Science-fiction novels that graced his shelves back home.

"Is that why you still haven't let us watch the news yet?" He asked simply, and watched as Elizabeth's expression fell.

Not the only one to notice the strain on the scientist's expression, Andries stepped closer to the glass wall separating them. "What's going on outside that you aren't telling us about?"

Elizabeth drew a deep breath to steel herself.

"The Dyer changes have lead to some... delicate, political situations coming up. Especially down here and in other countries noted for their habits of segregation."

"What...?" Brian blinked. He looked to everyone around him as they shared uncertain glances.

Elizabeth shifted uncomfortably.

"Things are going to be a bit different from now on." She winced as she stated the obvious. "A lot of people aren't taking the announcement that Dyer Wolves are a new sentient species very well, especially after the incidents..."

"Incidents?" Divan frowned, his ears flattening involuntarily backwards against his head.

"Not everyone who caught the Dyer virus were in a position to undergo their metamorphoses in as controlled or supportive an environment as you." Elizabeth breathed. "The pain drove them mad, and then the changes to their appearance sent them Feral."

"Feral?" Andries gulped. "Feral how?!"

"They lost their minds to the canine portion of their genetic code." Elizabeth sighed. "Partway through their metamorphoses, many of them lashed out instinctively due to the pain, and a lot of people around the world were injured as a result. Those that weren't... finished... became infected themselves."

Elsabie staggered in shock for a moment before Andries caught her.

"A lot of humans are scared that the Dyers are like this by nature, forgetting that we're sentient, too." Divan breathed in realization. "They think we've become monsters."

"Well look at us!" Brian growled, the animalistic sound alien in his throat. "A couple of months ago we would have thought the same, wouldn't we!?"

"Brian, please stay calm..." Erika began.

"Stay calm?! How can I possibly stay calm!?" Brian bared his teeth dangerously. "Especially since I know that as soon as we step out of this building we're the freaks of the earth!?"

"Brian, approximately 35% of humans of all races and nationalities were turned." Elizabeth said calmly. "You are hardly freaks."

"Well clearly the rest of the planet doesn't see it that way!"

"We'll be ostracized," Elsabie blubbered from where she stood wrapped in her husband's arms. "We'll lose our jobs... and... and...!"

"Everybody, stop panicking!" Divan roared at last, silencing the room. "We're living in South Africa for goodness sake! This of all countries should be used to getting over racism by now. Apartheid and the following retaliatory period ended decades ago. Really, if anyone's going to adapt to us quickly, it's going to be the South Africans."