.:13:. Debrief

Dyver had a hard time digesting what he was looking at when Jex led Elizabeth into the base, Quion walking in behind them.

"His signals are normal, but he hasn't changed back...." Astiva swallowed with frightened eyes.

"You still haven't explained what is going on, Fox-face." Elizabeth said grumpily to Jex, wrapping the towel that was in the car more tightly around her nightcloathes. She glanced at Dyver and Astiva, taking in their odd appearances, her brow knotting into an even deeper scowl as a result.

"I know the Smits weren't going to be the only Dyer Wolves around forever, but it's still a little soon to be seeing so many of you..."

"Dr Schneider," Astiva said, "We need to talk about what happened tonight..."

"More importantly, we need to figure out how to get One back to normal." Jex sighed, earning a shove and a sour expression from the Feral canine.

"You've retained your ability to show different facial expressions," Dyver commented. "Combined with the fact that you have your sentience back... have you tried to speak yet?"

Quion hesitated, looking frustrated, and shook his head.

"Will you?"

Quion testily rolled his mouth around as if making sure he wasn't missing something critical, and parted his lips.

"Not like this is awkward at all or anything..." Quion managed with ease, surprising even himself. "My voice is a little rougher than I remember, but otherwise it feels exactly the same."

"R-remarkable..." Elizabeth breathed.

"When people first started talking about 'going Feral', I never expected this." Dyver sighed. "There's not even a stitch of human left in you right now."

"There's enough human for me to think and speak." Quoin said. "I know for sure there's a way to reverse the process and return to a more bipedal shape. I've seen it done before."

"What, before!?" Elizabeth burst. "What do you mean 'before'!?"

"She really has no clue..." Astiva sighed.

"It seems like it." Quoin agreed. "That puts her in a lot less trouble."

"Trouble? What trouble?" Dyver asked.

"The scientist you have been collaborating with when studying the Dyer Virus is part of an unsanctioned biological weapons operation." Quion explained.

Astiva nodded. "I did some more digging while you were gone. The original idea behind Dyers was not to create a new sentient race of canines, but an epidemic of crazed super-wolves that attack without discretion. This would create a demand for militias and mercenaries for hunts and protection, which in turn would lead to a hike in weapons sales. However, during one experiment, it became clear that a pack of sentient Ferals would be an effective military unit to be sold to the highest bidder, if they could be controlled. That was when Neville started selling the promise of the Dyers as a weapon of its own."

Dyver and Elizabeth stiffened.

"This is bad." Jex growled. "That means that the Ferals left back there..."

"We have to assume the worst." Astiva grimaced. "If you and One are anything to go by, every single one of them was either a special forces or other military operative, a spy or a mercenary in their past lives."

Dyver shifted uncomfortably. It had always bugged him, but he had never dared to ask why the two Dyers who had abducted him from the hospital and insisted that he transform himself seemed so used to and keen on evading detection. He wanted to know why Jex was wearing military gear, and why he still had a rifle slung over his shoulder. He wanted to know why Quion was so reluctant to let the group participate in Paws actively.