.:9:. A Fox and Her Cookies

Astiva hobbled over to the garage as quickly as her crutches would allow. As one of the last Dyers infected in the Shrapnel bombings, she had demanded to be pumped full of all the proteins she could manage to speed up the process. She couldn't be bothered to think of how much work it took to get herself caught in one of those thrice-blasted explosions. She'd narrowly missed three of them, and barely managed to arrive in time for one of the last.

Astiva had method to her madness. Even though she'd been totally immobile for four of the six metamorphoses months, it had been worth it. Dyer Wolves had better senses than humans, and according to the information she... acquired, they were supposed to have a better metabolism and muscle efficiency, too.

Sure, anyone could argue that those are not things really needed by a professional hacker, but, they kind of were things she wish she had two years ago when One was about three meters away and about to arrest her for... stuff.

Pressing a button on a remote hanging from the lanyard around her neck, Astiva watched with some amusement as Jex beat One into the garage by a half a second.

"I win!" Jex whooped as soon as his door opened, and irritation flashed against One's features.

"If you hadn't cut me off at the circle and followed the rules of the road like you're supposed to, I would have beaten you by a minute."

"This is Africa. Who follows the rules?" Jex teased as a somewhat shaken Andries and Elsabie Smit clambered unsteadily out of the back of the car with wide eyes.

One didn't reply, rather walking around to the front passenger seat and hauling out a white Dyer who seemed to have half his face and both his arms heavily bandaged.

Astiva whistled. "What happened to that guy?"

"Machete." One explained simply as a second, brown-furred Dyer helped carry the white one with One as a grey, green and blue girl climbed out the car with a bag full of printed cardboard boxes.

Astiva waved a crutch in greeting, to which the strangers looked shocked.

"Shouldn't you still be in rehab?" The brown one asked.

"Rehab is boring. You've gotta get moving as fast as possible, right? No scaredy-cat doctors and physios in the way."

The newcomers exchanged wary glances - except for the unconscious one. He just shlumped.

"Well, come on in, everyone!" Astiva beamed, turning. "This way~!"

One sighed in resignation as he and the brown one hauled the white one after her. She knew he did it specifically for her to be able to tell he was frustrated. Apparently for all of her smarts, Astiva was quite dense when it came to her people skills. She really hadn't noticed. Unless an action was over-exaggerated, she usually didn't know it happened.

"Ehem."
Oh. That over-exaggerated clearing of One's throat was obviously directed at her. What did she forget to do? Uh... Oh! Introduce herself! People usually did that when they met each other, didn't they? Astiva was about to turn around to correct her error when Jex heaved a sigh that could have started a hurricane.

"Astiva, can you please not space out in the doorway?" One grimaced. "The longer we stand here, the heavier this guy gets."

"Oh, right!" Astiva yelped, and quickly finished hobbling her way through it and getting out of One's way.

She watched the two men drag the unconscious lump to a back room before Jex decided to copy One and give an over-the-top clearing of his throat. Was she in the way again? Oh, he's indicating in an over-the-top bobbing of his head towards the newbies. What was this signal again? Oh! THAT'S the one to introduce yourself! Or something. Astiva really had no idea. People were too confusing for her.