Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Talia." My name echoed in my head as if it were going to rattle my brains out and I groaned. "Talia, wake up." The voice continued to say my name over and over again but I just wanted to sleep. My head didn't hurt when I was asleep. "Talia, I swear if you do not wake up I will dump your ass in the bathtub and start the damn water."

I sighed and managed to open my eyes just enough to see that Diesel was sitting in a chair next to me. Whose bed was I in? I rubbed my eyes and sat up slowly, careful not to send my head spinning. "Why are you here? Where am I?"

"I brought back to your pack. We are at the clinic." Diesel looked relieved and slumped back into the chair, closing his eyes.

"Why would you bring me here? Why haven't they killed you? You know they will deem you a traitor. I mean, you are." I was grateful that he had gotten me home, but how exactly did he get me out of the vault? "We were locked in that vault. How did you get us out?"

Diesel rubbed his temples and then looked at me. "I had to shift completely. There was a weak spot in the door that I managed to break and the door broke off of its hinges."

"What? Oh, shit. This is not good. If anyone finds that room..." Diesel waved a hand at me, cutting me off.

"It's taken care of. One of your men went and repaired the door. It's meant to keep the humans out but not supernaturals in. And if you have not noticed, the alpha wants to question me." He gestured to his feet and I saw that a silver chain attached him to the chair. "The only reason I am not dead is because I brought you back to your men and told them the truth about who I really was."

I shook my head, confused. You could have lied to them. You could have tried to save yourself." It just didn't make any sense. He didn't seem the kind of guy to tell the truth when it would get him killed.

"Can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't have told them the truth once you woke up?" I shook my head. "Exactly. They wouldn't have let me live two seconds if I lied to them about who I was."

I hesitated. "Why would you bring me back?"

"I don't know.I just felt like I had to. You needed to be here with your pack for what is coming. I will no longer be welcome amongst Liam's people. I am not welcome here. I will probably be executed."

"Surely Xavier and Gabriel will not kill you since you returned me in one piece." I kicked my legs over the side of the bed and looked Diesel straight in the eyes. He wouldn't look at me. "What aren't you telling me?:

He shook his head and stood, putting more space between the two of us without letting the silver cut even deeper into his ankle. "Please, don't. Just consider this the one good deed of my life. I'm not always a bad guy."

"What are you talking about?" I tried to stand but was a little shaky on my feet. Diesel's arms shot out and he caught me before I could fall. "Thanks." I whispered, looking up at him. He was silent. "Please, answer me."

He released me suddenly and backed up as far as the chain would allow. "No. Just let it go. Besides, one of your men just entered the clinic."

As if on cue, Gabriel burst through the door and rushed over to me. He swooped me up into his arms and a sharp pain ran up my spine causing me to cry out. Diesel growled and Gabriel set me back down, looking worried. "Are you okay?" I nodded but subtly backed away from him. I shouldn't have been afraid of him hurting me again, but I couldn't be too careful.

"Did you come to check on her or bring me to your father?" Diesel looked annoyed but the look was gone as quickly as it had appeared.

"Both. My father wants to see both of you, so here I am." Gabriel reached out to take my hand and I pulled it away. He looked hurt but didn't say anything. "Talia, if you are ready to leave we can head to Father's cabin now. If not, we can wait here for a little while and I will send someone to collect the rogue."