Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“So Liam is alive…” Xavier sighed and walked to his desk, leaning against it wearily. “It would figure. Did Diesel say what he was getting revenge for? I don’t recall ever doing him wrong. And more importantly, why is he working with the rogues?” A sad look passed over his face. “It would have been better for him if he had just passed away. Now we will have to rip him apart.”

I watched as Gabriel approached his father and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. “It’s okay, Dad. You guys were friends, but we have to protect our pack.” Xavier nodded, but shrugged off Gabriel’s arm.

“I know, son. I need to think about what to do now. Where do we go from here?” Xavier walked away from his son and fell into his chair. “I think that you should leave me for now. I will call for you and your brothers when I have come up with a plan.”

Gabriel hesitated for a moment before nodding. “Okay, Talia and I are going to head home then.” Xavier just nodded and turned his attention to the notepad on his desk. Gabriel took my hand and leaned down to whisper in my ear. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Okay.” I followed Gabriel as he led me out of the cabin. We walked in silence, never once bringing up Diesel or Morrigan. Either Gabriel was being considerate of me, or he was too angry to speak about it.

We made it to his cabin, but we weren’t alone. Gavin and Grant were waiting inside at the kitchen table. I felt Gabriel stiffen next to me, but didn’t say anything as the brothers stared at each other. Gabriel released my hand and walked into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of beer from the fridge before joining his brothers.

“Welcome back.” Gavin looked to me before shifting his eyes back to Gabriel. A look of guilt crossed over his face, but was gone before I could say anything to him. I made my way to the couch and sat down, pulling my knees up to my chest.

I heard Gabriel grunt a response and twist the cap off of his beer. "And you said she wasn't going to cause trouble." Grant sounded all too smug, and the undertone of his voice bothered me.

"Shut up." I turned my head to look over at the table and caught Gabriel looking at me. "You don't have to stay over there. You are welcome to join us."

I shook my head, eying Grant. "No thanks. I'm okay over here." Nila jumped up onto my lap and pressed her head against my hand. "Besides, Nila doesn't seem all that comfortable with more than one of you at a time."

"That's a shitty excuse." Gavin muttered under his breath, but still loud enough for me to hear. "We all know that the cat is just worried Grant is going to eat her."

Grant gave me a dark smile. "Who knows? I might just decide that a cat is the perfect midnight snack. Their bones make the perfect toothpicks."

"Grant." Gabriel said, narrowing his eyes at his younger brother. "Please don't make me kick you out. That cat is a part of this pack now. She is not your own personal dog treat."