Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Gabriel trudged into the living room with a blank look on his face. He stared down at the ground, stuffing his hands into his pockets and swallowing hard. “I ran you a bath.” He mumbled, but I heard what he said. The big bad wolf was being sweet? I knew that werewolves could control their tempers, but I never knew them to go out of their way to make a witch like myself comfortable. The thought actually touched something deep within my chest, and I smiled gently.

“Thank you. That is thoughtful.” I stood from the old, worn out couch and rubbed at my knees which were oddly sore. I dismissed the sensation, looking back up at the handsome werewolf standing across the room.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he beat me to it. “I am going to run and go get our dinner, if you think you will be alright until I get back. My father announced that you are to be protected and treated as well as the rest of us, so I do not think that you are in any danger. But I can wait for you, if you like.” I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, feeling the air thicken around us.

“I think I will be alright.” I made my way toward him, wringing my hands together. “I will try to hurry, though. You must be wanting to take a shower after the day you have had.” I gave him the most genuine smile that I could muster, but my nerves were shot and my heart was racing. Oh, what was wrong with me? “Thank you again.” I whispered, darting past Gabriel and into the bathroom.

I shut the door behind me and leaned against it, letting out a ragged breath. “Oh, and Talia, the towels are in the linen closet, middle shelf. Feel free to use anything you need.” I smiled to myself and listened to his footsteps as he walked away from the bathroom door. With trembling hands, I opened the linen closet and pulled out a towel and a razor.

I set the towel on the counter and then put the razor on the edge of the tub, before stepping into it. Smiling, I moaned in slight pleasure as I slid down into the warm tub until my chin hit the water. I smiled and relaxed into the tub, forgetting all about the world outside of that bathroom.

Several minutes passed and I heard the door of the cabin close, signalling that Gabriel had returned. I jerked into a sitting position, realizing that I had done nothing but lay there the entire time he had been gone. Cursing under my breath, I grabbed the bar of soap and began scrubbing my body until it was free of dirt. I lingered for a moment over the two bullet wounds on my shoulder, glad that they had almost fully healed.

“Talia, are you alright?” I poured shampoo into my hands as he spoke, and I began washing my hair.

I grunted, feeling the stiffness in my shoulder. “I’m fine! I will be out in a few minutes.” I heard him chuckle and start to walk away. “Wait, Gabriel, do you have conditioner?”

“No. I don’t need it, and I don’t have a woman that lives with me, so why would I need to stock up on it?” I blushed and let out a frustrated groan. I heard him chuckle again and walk away from the door.

I quickly rinsed my hair and shaved, stumbling out of the tub and opening the drain. Wrapped in a towel, I looked around the bathroom, cursing at myself. How could I have forgotten that I didn’t have any clothes to change into? I sighed and walked to the bathroom door, opening it slowly. “Gabriel?”