Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Gavin smiled and took me by my hand, giving Gabriel a knowing look. “Don’t worry, Gabe. She will be safe with me.” My heart raced and my palms started to sweat, and I found myself torn between staying with Gabriel and going with Gavin.

“She better be.” Gabriel gave me a gentle kiss and then smiled tightly. “I will come by the cabin once I am done here. Grant caught one of the rogues on the perimeter of our land. Father wants to question him and I am in charge of the… persuasion.”

I grimaced and took a deep breath. “I didn’t need to know that.” The thought of Gabriel hurting anyone made me sick to my stomach. It was almost hard to imagine that he could even harm a fly.

“Alright. Well, I will see you a little later. I mean it, Gavin. Keep her safe.” I gave him a smile and gripped Gavin’s hand harder. Gabriel gave Gavin a stern glance and then turned on his heel, stalking back into his father’s cabin.

Gavin chuckled a bit. “He sure does care about you.” He tugged my hand and led me toward the forest. I hesitated, but he flashed me a soothing smile. “Would you like to take a walk with me? I think we need to talk about the ‘link’ situation.”

“Of course, but is it safe? Gabriel would have your skin if something happened. With the rogue pack in the area, is the forest the safest place?” I fell into step beside Gavin, tightening on my grip his hand.

The forest drew closer and I took a deep breath as Gavin spoke. “You are with me. You will be safe.”

I didn’t answer him, remaining silent as I followed him deeper into the forest. My skin prickled with awareness and my eyes darted back and forth along the line of trees. There had to be something out here, watching us. “Gavin, I think we should go back. This is a bad idea.”

“Don’t worry, Talia. I’ve got you. Besides, can’t you whip up a handful of magic in just a few seconds?” He smirked and cut left, dragging me along with him. My fingers began to throb slightly as his grip tightened.

“I could, but I have a bad feeling about disobeying Gabriel’s orders. He doesn’t seem like the kind to take defiance very well.” My foot wedged under a tree root and I fell forward. The only thing that kept me from falling to the ground and snapping my ankle was the circle of Gavin’s arms.

He growled briefly, eyes flashing as he put me back on my feet and grabbed my hand again harshly. “Don’t hurt yourself. If you trip again, I am going to have to carry you everywhere.” I smirked at his irritation, but followed him anyway as he led up toward the river bank.

“Don’t worry. I can keep walking myself. I am not a child that needs a babysitter.” I pulled my hand away from his and kept walking toward the river, pushing my hair away from my face.

“You mated Gabriel.” It wasn’t a question. I nodded and I plopped down on a nearby tree root, looking up at him. “You are my mate as well. How do you feel about that?”