Chapter 4

I walked to school slowly taking my time, I didn't have to be there for another 20 minutes. My mind was crazy, I didn't sleep last night. Last night was the reaping, two young people had been chosen to enter the hunger games. One of the, was 12, the other was 13. I had no hope for them, just because Persephone came back doesn't mean they will.

Persephone left yesterday on the train to mentor. She came and found me just before it left, while the tributes were saying goodbye to their families. She wanted me to know that she was grateful for me listening to her while she cried. It wasn't a problem. She's so young and pretty, she doesn't deserve the life she got.

" Oi, Finnick! "

I turn around and see Lilly from the markets running towards me with another girl that I see with her often. Since she introduced herself to me at the markets she talks to me every now and then. Most of the time at the markets, she helps at her mum stall. They sell bread.

" Hi Lilly, how are you? "

" Good thanks, this is Layla. The one I always talk about "

I turn to look at Layla. She had long red hair that seemed to flow perfectly. It was really red. Her eyes were bright blue and she had a lot of freckled. She was really short too.

" Hiya Finnick, Lil and Seph told me all about you "

I start to laugh quietly. Raising my eyebrows at Lilly and she just blushes under my gaze. I throw a wink in there and her cheeks are so red they could match Layla's hair. Chuckling to myself I turn around and continue on my way to school. Layla and Lilly join me on either side and we walk in to school. Only now do I realise how pretty the two girls are because when we walk in to school plenty of people stare.

" It's always like this, it used to be because we were with Emily and she's really pretty. Now they stare because we're a victors best friends "

I nod in understanding, it must be hard. The girls say their farewells and leave to a different classroom, being a year above myself. Both of them are 14, I'm only 13. When I walk in to the classroom my mates crowd around me asking about Lilly and Layla. How did I do it? What were we talking about? They wanted to know everything!

The only thing I was thinking about was the parade that they were about to show us on TV. And Persephone of course.