Chapter 16

" So Finnick, have you got anyone special back at home? "

That's the first question Caesar asks me and by the way all the young girls in the crowd lean forward I can tell that everyone wants to know.

" Well Caesar, I'm still young. No girl at home, no girl here either"

I say cheekily while throwing a wink in to the crowd.

" Careful there Finnick. Don't want to give these young girls a heart attack "

He says while laughing. The crowd roars with laughter.

" Moving on to more serious matters, you seem to have a very close bond with your district partner, Lilly Makop. Care to elaborate? "

I search the crowd to find Persephone. She's clutching the arm of a girl tightly, who I assume is a victor. They're hair matches, both having very short hair cuts. She discreetly nods at me and I remember that she wants me to play this.

" Yeah, Lilly and I are best friends. We have been for a while, ever since our other best friend got reaped. Only one comes home Caesar, and it's hard knowing that I'll either die in there so my best friend can live or she'll die. It's very hard. "

The crowd coos, some cry. People are tearing up everywhere. Caesar mutters under his breath.

" Touching, Touching "

Before moving on. The rest of the interview passes in a blur, me glancing to Seph every now and then. She never lets go of the other girl, who I guess is about 16 or 17. A young man is on her other side, looking a bit older than them, maybe 17-18. His arm is slung around Em's shoulders and he's a bit too close for comfort.

I stumble off the stage at the end of my interview overwhelmed by the bright lights and strange people. Persephone runs up to me, how she made it from the crowd to backstage so quickly I won't know. Resting on her head is a red rose flower crown. She see my frown when my eyes rest on it but doesn't say anything. Before I know it her arms around me.

" I know I said my job wasn't to be you're friend anymore, but we are and I can't exactly help that "

She says while smiley sheepishly. The girl next to her is beaming and I realise how gorgeous she is up close.

" This is Mikayla Diterli, she's a victor from 7 "

My mind instantly goes back to her games and I remember how brutal she was with an axe. She was almost as good at fighting as Em. Why do all the victors look so pretty and, not innocent but not like they've killed people?

" it's a pleasure to meet you Finnick, Em's told me all about you "

She says shaking my hand. The young man comes up behind her wrapping his arms around her waist and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

" This is my boyfriend Aaron, and he's 7's other mentor "

I nod slowly taking in the fact that it bothered me when Aaron was too close to Persephone but he was dating the girl. Huh. I had nothing to worry about.

My thoughts are interrupted by Lilly on the screen behind us in her lovely dress talking about our friendship.