Chapter 12

I watched in horror as he slit the women's thought and became victor. District 5 had a horrible mentor. He was cruel and vicious and everything you never want to meet.

The next disc in the player was Persephone's games, which she specifically said we couldn't watch. I glance over at Lilly to see her eyeing the disc warily.

" I didn't watch her games, mum and dad wouldn't let me "

I nod. She keeps staring before she picks it up and puts it in. I stare at the screen not taking my eyes of it. The gong rings and Seph runs forward, she snatches up a backpack and high tails it out of there not entering the bloodbath. She's now running through the woods with no weapon.

She runs for about two hours before someone springs in front of her. Persephone starts to fight and I've never seen someone so advanced at hand to hand combat in the entire history of the games. One final blow to the side of his neck knocks him unconscious. She removes all his weapons strapping them to herself and pulls the rope out of her bag.

She ties a noose around his neck and hangs him in the tree. He wakes instantly only to have his oxygen cut off and he dies. He looks ghostly, handing from the tree. A wolf howling in the distance brings Persephone out of her trance and she quickly picks flowers. She arranges them in a crown on the tributes head leaving the body.

It hangs there while night falls. All her hits went to his neck and the bruises show. An arrangement of purple, yellow and black cover the entirety of his neck, the moon illuminating his face. The crown of flowers sit on top of his head and I now realise they were roses. Blood red roses. The thorns make small cuts on his face and blood trickles down in small drips.

Persephone has been in a tree for a while when a tribute finds the body. He stands there looking at it in horror while Seph climbs down the tree and sneaks up behind him. He wakes up from his trance to late and she slits his throat in a single movement with the knife she stole from the other tribute.

She creates him a crown of blood red roses before leaving the area for the bodies to be taken. She continues this through the games, leaving a tribute for another to find them killing them in pairs. When she got out of the games and we saw her interview I saw something horrifying. Something so simple, but terrifying at the same time. A crown of red roses sat on her head, the thorns cut of. Her face clean of blood. Her neck void of bruises. But there was the crown of roses sitting on her head. And a small rope tied around her waist.