Chapter 17

It was cold and dark while I stood on the top of the roof. All the other tributes were there, shaking in the thin outfits we were wearing. I stood on one side of Seph, Lilly on the other while we waited for the hovercraft to pick us up.

This could be the last time I see Persephone and Lilly. The ship lands on the roof causing wind that only makes us colder.

" Remember, you need water, don't go in the bloodbath and don't stop running "

She says to both of us seriously.

" Just hang in there, I'll be waiting when you come home "

She says, not saying who she thinks it will be. You can tell by the way she's acting that she really thinks one of us will come home, and she knows who it is.

The peacekeepers March us onboard and Persephone turns around disappearing in to the building, hand in hand with Mikayla. I take a seat on the craft and shiver from the coolness of the metal. The craft takes off and my heart leaps in my chest.

I spend what could possibly be some of my last few moments alive thinking about everything. I thought about grace, the sweet 7 year old that has no idea what's coming, with her curly blonde locks that bounce when she walks. I think about my mother with her dark blonde hair and welcoming eyes.

I think about Layla who is surely sitting at home waiting for the countdown to begin. I glance over and see a girl with a small ring as her token. The gem is Layla red.

I think about Lilly who sits 3 spots down from me in deep thoughts. Her lovely smile and innocent thoughts. I think of Persephone, sitting in the tribute centre waiting. Possibly talking to sponsors if I have any.

The windows darken and the glow inside the ship seems eerie. Like it knows we're being sent to our deaths. Soon it hits the ground and we are marched out.

The hallway is cold and white with plain tiles and pipes run around it. I'm marched by peacekeepers down the long hallway, and I notice it's round. We walk around the curved hallway, giving away that the arena is round.

A door is pushed open and I'm shoved inside. Max stands in there with a jacket in his hands. He looks solemn.

" Judging by the fact that you have a jacket most of the arena will be land. Sorry "

I nod knowing that my inky advantage point has been lost. No water, I have no hope.

" 30 seconds till launch "

The automated voice says. I slip the jacket on quickly and begin to walk to the other side of the small room.

" 20 seconds till launch "

I stop outside the glass tube looking at max.

" Thanks Max "

He nods and doesn't say anything back.

" 10 seconds till launch "

I look at the tube apprehensively before stepping in right as the tube seals on me. It slowly rises and I wait till I reach the top. Ladies and gentlemen, let the 65th hunger games begin.