Chapter 8

I sit in the car in silence staring at the screen in front of us. Nothing was playing but I had nothing else to look at. My right hand was sweaty and clutching Lilly's, my left fiddling with the bottom of my shirt. Every now and then I glance at Lilly but she's lost in her thoughts.

The car finally stops and we climb out, my hand still holding Lilly's. I don't think she would let me go even if I tried. I instantly become ware of the cameras filming us and zooming to our connected hands. We finally reach the train and sit in a room in the couch. Ezmereldy looks at us sighing.

" I'm going to go and find your mentor "

This sparks my interest and Lilly's.

" Who do you think it is? "

She asks me.

" Probably Mags. Apparently Seph didn't go so well last time, she freaked out "

Lilly shrugs her attention on the door. Persephone walks through, her hair now super short and blonder than before. She has a small amount of makeup on and looks oddly intimidating. After hugging both of us she sits back.

" This is Persephone, although I think you must be the Lilly she always talks about, and you must be her new friend, right? "

We both nod and Ezmereldy smiles at us.

" Well a friend of Persphone's is a friend of mine, call Emmy "

We both nod in her direction, thanking her before turning to Seph.

" It's no longer my job to be your friend. Now, I'm your mentor, and I suggest you loose all emotional attachment real fast, that's your first tip "

I stare at her. Not only does she look different, she behaves different. She is no longer Persephone Rei, 15 year old citizen of district 4, she's Seph Rei, Capitol darling and victor. She smiles at us once more.

" Tip 2, know your enemies "

She hits a button and the screen in front of us comes to life. The reaping in district 12 shows and she points out so many things that I never would have noticed.

" See how tall she is? She could climb a tree faster than you could blink "

Or

" Look at how he scans her face, he's looking for any signs of emotion. He's a threat already "

I try to take in everything she says. She is so different and it's really odd. I never thought about the reason she looked so closed off when I first met her. Maybe it's how she normally is. We watch all of the reapings and hours have passed. The train stops at the Capitol. People are everywhere, all looking as outrageous as Emmy. They cheer our names and smile.

We climb out of the train and the men are swooning over Lilly. Seph goes up to her whispering in her ear. Soon after Lilly starts throwing winks, smirks and cheeky smiles at everyone. She comes up to me and leans in to whisper in my ear, not so it's noticeable though.

" Hold Lilly's hand, we can work this whole best friends thing really well "

I nod at her before she speeds up and talks to some Capitol citizens. She shakes hands and is charming as possible. She seems super sweet but really confident. People call her name everywhere.

" Persephone, I love your hair! "

" Seph, what shade is your lipstick? "

" Persephone! Where did you get your outfit? "

She just smirks or smiles and thanks all of them. Eventually we enter a room and I am swarmed by a team of three girls staring at me.