chapter 22

I moved briskly across the damp sand that covered the shores of my district. Persephone had gone home not long ago and Layla was busy. I thought about going to Annie's place for a quick visit in hopes to cheer her up. I eventually decided against it.

Annie would want quiet before the announcement.

Soon the sand disappeared from between my toes and the dirt road began. Small stones hurt my feet occasionally but it wasn't too bad. I neared the victors village still lost in thought.

I thought about mentoring, and if I would have to mentor with Seph. I thought about what horrible twist the children would face. How Seph would cope if she had to go without him, the mentoring had always scared her slightly. She was amazing at it, it just scared her.

I entered my cold house and felt the smooth floorboards under my feet. The television set was already on, ready for me to watch the announcement. Across the street in the warmly lit house was Persephone and Layla, trying to comfort each other through the beginning of the next games.

I perched myself on the couch, which sunk under my weight. It was too soft. Too luxurious, I didn't feel worthy of any of this. I got this for murdering children and the games reminded me of that.

Snow emerged on the podium and I nearly growled. Every fibre of my mind screamed out in protest at the fact that I was keeping quiet. I wanted to scream at him for the fact that he had torn apart so many families, including the ones of people I loved.

" On the 75th anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest amongst them can not overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors"

My mind went blank. I'm the moments that followed I felt nothing. I had been dreading leaving Persephone to mentor on her own, but I should have been dreading leaving her in that arena.