13. Water (Nessie's POV)

13. Water (Renesmee’s POV)

Aunt Alice and Aunt Rose were doing very good today.

They were playing a very intense game of chess. Both of them wanted to decorate my cast, and had been all smiles and glee when they came up with the idea six hours ago. The game was stretching on far longer than it should. I was fidgety, but I was stuck watching them. I couldn’t pace around. Not without crutches. And those were overly hindering. If I had to move, it wouldn’t be with them.

Alice had black. I could tell that in six moves, if Aunt Rose played right, the game would be over. But I couldn’t know what they were doing, and Alice had probably seen the future already, so I knew the game was far from over.

Honestly, I couldn’t find the excitement in decorating a cast. It was going to be on my leg for a week. I didn’t need to be walking around with their version of a sharpie Picasso on my leg for a week. But there was no use arguing with them. I would let them have their fun. It might even cover up some of the pink.

My thoughts kept drifting back to Jacob. He hadn’t shown up all day. I guessed he felt guilty. Which was silly, since everything had been my fault, not his. But I would never be able to convince him of that.

I had been going to watch him. That was all.

I sunk deeper into the couch cushions. He was mad at himself for such a simple thing. And he had nothing to do with it. All he had was the fact that he existed. And I always wanted him to exist with me. My brown ringlets fell into my face, and I casually brushed them aside, wishing that the game would end soon. I was bored.

I gave in. I grabbed the crutches from off the couch next to me, and started getting up. Alice paused, halfway through with putting down her piece. “Where are you going?” she asked.

I loved my aunt, but she was just a bit too curious for her own good. I was only going out to the porch to get some badly needed air and vitamin D. “I’m going out to the porch for a few minutes. My butt is getting sore from sitting here for so long. And you two are nowhere near done with your game, are you?” I asked.

“No.” they both replied at the same time.

“That’s what I thought.” I said, laughing. I flashed them a smile. “I’ll be right outside.”

I walked out to the porch, and felt a cool breeze flit over my skin accompanied by the warm sunshine. I hadn’t felt this wonderful since I lost use of my one leg. But my smile only lasted a few seconds.

A hand was gripping me by the back of my shirt. My crutches clattered down onto the porch. A cool hard hand was pressed onto my mouth so I couldn’t scream. I could feel the wind rushing by on my exposed skin. I felt fragile and tiny and scared. Whoever had me was moving fast, very fast. A vampire running with me. And here I was, a ragdoll hanging in its grip with a broken leg. There was no possibility of escape. So many things bubbled up in me. Why was this person after me? Who were they? Where was I going?

I felt whatever was carrying me dump me unceremoniously on the ground. I closed my eyes, wincing. I felt the cold hands tying a blindfold around my eyes quickly and then stuffing a gag in my mouth. I started gagging on the fabric that tasted of charcoal and grease. I’d had no time to even scream.