17. Vision (Nessie's POV)

Instead of pain, I dreamt something different.

I saw a girl, with a tumble of red hair riding in the passenger seat of a dark car. Her face was fuzzy, but then, within the light of a passing car, I saw that it was that new girl, Lizzie. She had a smile on her face, and was sitting next to a vaguely familiar boy.

Then the light was gone, and they dove back into darkness.

I watched the car as it traveled across the dark road.

Then I watched, horrified, as the car skidded out of control. It hit into a tree, and metal and wood screamed before it burst into a fiery wreck.

I tried to scream, tried to help, but I discovered I couldn't do anything, because it was a dream. Just a dream.

I woke up drenched in sweat. Feeling slowly bled back into my body, as well as the pain. I shivered. That was a nightmare.

I sat on the couch, staring at the ceiling.

The image of the car crashing into the tree was burned into my mind.

I felt almost frozen. Numb to my core. Why would I dream something so horrifying?

I was a nice person. I had my flaws, true. I was a bit klutzy and no one in my family could trust me with a secret, but that was no reason for me to be attacked or to start having weird dreams, was it?

Aunt Alice chose that moment to walk in. She came over by the couch and hugged me. "How are you feeling, Ness?"

I couldn't tell my Aunt that I felt horrible. I just couldn't. No matter how horrible I felt, I couldn't tell. My family was already too worried about me. I couldn't add horrible dreams to the mix of problems as well.

"I'm okay." I lied.

She looked at me skeptically. "Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yeah. Really, I'm okay." I told her.

"Do you need anything? A drink, a new blanket?" she asked.

I shook my head. I was content with looking at the arched ceiling in peace.

Aunt Alice silently left, leaving me in peace.

I sunk further down into the couch, and started drifting back to sleep.

This time there were no creepy dreams. When I woke up, I felt a bit refreshed even.

My bronzish hair was falling into my eyes, and I gingerly reached a hand up to move it away. Every inch of my body hurt again, like someone had visited me with a steamroller in my sleep. But I had felt like this for a while now, and knew I was just going to have to suck it up and deal. I would hurt for a while more, and this pain was now a part of my life. Which stunk for me.

I really had nothing to do, and I started to think back to my dream.

The fiery inferno continued to replay in my mind. I kept hearing the redhead's scream... It pierced through every other thought I had.

That wail of pain as the car went up in smoke...

Just the black night to devour them.

Aunt Alice suddenly pranced into the room. I stared at her. She looked almost as though she were...glowing. Pink.

What?

I reached up and rubbed my eyes. But the soft pinkish glow that completely engulfed my aunt was still there. I bit my lip hard, concentrating that it would go away.

But it stayed around her.

Maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me. I was pumped up on an awful lot of medicine. It could just be a side effect.

But side effects don't usually include seeing glows around people. I closed my eyes, and thankfully Aunt Alice left without questioning me at all.

I fell into another strange dream, where I was looking at my entire family, and they all were engulfed in some different color. They were just standing around, all of them utterly silent. Aunt Alice was again wrapped in a warm cocoon of pink, and Uncle Jasper was wrapped in a veil of reddish orange. Aunt Rose was wearing a film of warm, buttery yellow, and Uncle Emmett was wearing a blanket of red.

Esme was wearing a coat of green, and Carlisle was wearing a coat of indigo. Then lastly, I saw my parents. My mother was wearing a veil of gray around her, and my father had a swirl of blue wrapping around him. Sadly, I didn't see Jake in my dream.

I once again woke up deeply disturbed.