Maya and Lucas

I look down at my smoothie, then look at the wall. I meet eyes with Maya then look away, she seems irritated.

"Maya?" I say.

"Lucas." She sighs. "What's wrong with me?"

"What?!"

"We did everything you and Riley did but there still feels like we can't talk, is it me?"

"Maya it's not you! Maybe we should try to start over alright?"

"Okay Lucas," she cracks a smile.

"So Maya, what do you wanna talk about?"

"What do you wanna talk about?"

"Do you know anything about sports?"

"No not really, do you know anything about art?"

"Not a thing" I told her. This was going to be a long evening.

........................

Riley's POV

I wonder what would happen if I told them. Would Maya be mad? Or heartbroken? Would Lucas be embarrassed cause he moved on? Would they shut me out? Would my friends back away from me? I'm so confused, "Riley dinner!" My mom screams.

"No thanks mom, I'll eat later!" I say back.

.......................................

The next morning, Maya picks me up to go on the subway, she seems quiet today. Maybe it has something to do with Lucas, "Maya how was your date?" I ask

"I don't know," she says looking down
"Riles could I ask you a personal question?"

"Of course!"

"How did you get to where you are with Lucas?"

"What do you mean? Like you want me to give you dating tips?"

"Yeah Riles, get him as into me as I'm into him!"

"Maya I can't do that!" I say strictly. Why would she ask me this. Can't she see how uncomfortable this is to me already?

"Why not?!"

"Because, Peaches," I was about to tell her, but I couldn't bear it, "You have to be yourself, not me, be Maya! He cares about you cause your yourself!"

"That makes sense I guess, thanks Pumpkin." I hug her tightly, and we walk off the train. "Are you okay?"

"What do you mean?" I ask her. She looks like she wanted to say something but then shakes her head shrugging it off.