Track Hoeing

Lythia kept her eyes on the opening, seeing Alby, Minho, and another boy she hadn't ye met follow Thomas into the maze. 

'I'd keep away from him' Gallys voice spoke, closely from behind her.

She jumped, swivelling, almost raising her hand to slap him out of defence.

 'Thomas. He's bad news.' He continued, sensing the questioning in her eyes. 
They were extremely close at that moment, and Gally was looking down at her; she realise that if she moved slightly her nose would be on his lips.

She got that weird feeling inside, again, and pushed it off as she told herself not to like this moment, it clearly should have been seen as eerie by anyone elses standards.

'You were spying?' she asked, stepping back.

'Yup.' He replied, stepping closer.

'Well stop. How do you know he's 'bad news' any way?'  she quoted, ignoring the fact that that her heart was quickening.

'Because he gets everything he wants.' He scowled.

'And he'll get you as soon as he can'.

Her face twisted, remembering the conversation her and Thomas had recently had.

 'No. We don't feel that way about each other.'

'Good.' He mumbled, staring down at her, his dark eyes focused.

'What was that?' she questioned, feeling his body heat now radiating on her.

He took a breath.

'Comeon i gotta see what you're made of' he said, backing away, his face blushing.

'Huh?' 

'A job, shank. We gotta assign you to a job, can't just lay around all day. Everyone's got to do their part. No slackers. Alby is out running and wants you working as soon as possible. I offered to do the deed. Comeon can't stand here for hours' he beckoned, walking off.

'Why did you volunteer?' She asked, following behind. She had the feeling Gally wanted  to be around her, despite their first meeting.

'Because nobody else wanted to. Got all your questions to answer ain't they? And we all know how curious you can be.' He said, a glimmer of sarcasm in his voice.

All she noticed as she was following behind, was the broadness of his back.

'So.. You wanna answer all my curiosities?' She caught up and was now walking beside him.

'Nope. But I'm the only one that can stop you from doing slinthead things' he spoke.

They came to the tree grove.

'Today you're trialling to be a track-hoe. Zart'll teach you.' He walked off, leaving her with a dark haired moody looking boy, with droopy eyes, and she didn't wanna feel rude, but she couldn't avoid that Zart smelt of sour yoghurt.

'Hey.' He said, slowly looking her up and down.

She instantly felt uncomfortable and turned her head to search for Gally, who was already gone, without warning herself. She wasn't sure why she did that.

'Hey.' she replied. It was only the two of them in the tree grove, the rest of the boys were a bit away.

Far enough for it to be silent. 

'So.. There's some potatoes, down there that need picking, um.. You'll need to pick them then wash them. The water is over there' he pointed to a metal bucket next to them.
'Okay.' she said.