Banishment

He was clutching her tight, her father. Next to them her mother was clutching Thomas, as they quickly walked with them both to an unknown destination.

Thomas was large, about 6 years old yet their mother held onto him, refusing to let him walk. It was dark, but in the distance bright lights and crowds of people came into view. Sirens were heard and the crowd were crying, talking, as we melted into them. The building before them was huge. The biggest lythia had seen in her 5 years of living. It probably seemed to loom higher over her as she was so small. She looked to her dad and he was panicky, sweating. Her mam was crying, Thomas' head buried in her neck. Suddenly, a scream erupted in the crowd. Then another. And another. It was mayhem, she didn't know what was happening and she was scared. Around her people were literally dropping to the ground like flies, others attacking them. But she knew the others weren't people. They had blue veiny skin, their eyes were buldging, they were foaming at the mouth and the foam was mixed with bright red blood. They were growling, their nails clawing at their own faces.

She dug her head into her fathers woolly coat, gunshots going off around the four of them. 'Don't you dare look' her dad whispered. Of course, as a child, her curiosity got the better of her. She lifted her head, to see one of the things running toward her mother, as she screamed. It latched onto her shoulder, with its mouth. She fell to the floor, Thomas out of her grip. 'Run to them Thomas! As fast as you can!' Her last breaths spoke, as she pointed toward a gate infront of them, two more of those things on top of her, eating her.

'MOMMY' She screamed, her dad in tears as he ran with her. He set her down. She watched as Thomas ran into the set of gates her dad stood her infront of, as he pointed at her and her father, crying. 'I love you. Please remember I'm doing this for your safety. Go with the man' her dad said.

She woke up, spluttering and gasping for air, crying her eyes out. She sat up, hyperventilating.

Surely it wasn't a memory. Surely those things, cant exist, it can't be true.

'Hey, hey, it's alright! You're okay' Gally cooed, his arms touching her sides. Lythia continued crying, however her breaths slowed. It's a good job nobody else was in the homestead and it wasn't the middle of the night, she would have woken everyone.

'What happened?' He whispered, concern in his eyes. 'I just had a flashback... My mam... I just watched her get.. Eaten. Alive?' Lythia half questioned. Gallys face was in shock but he didn't tell her his thoughts, he just pulled her toward him in a hug. He didn't have to say his thoughts, he was thinking the same as her.

What the fuck happened?

'Sorry to wake you... But the banishment is happening soon. We need you to be present' Alby spoke, looking at us unusually. Lythia understood the look, it was weird to see them.. In bed together.

'We'll be right down' Gally said, his attention still on Lythia. Alby left.

The thought of seeing Zart again.. It actually terrified her. More than the monsters in the maze. 'He's not gonna hurt you again. Nobody will let him' Gally said gently, as if reading her mind once more. it unsettled her slighty at how much he seemed to know her thoughts.

 'We gotta be there, or it won't be able to happen. Some stupid rule' he carried on. She didn't answer. She didn't know what to say. She just stared down at the blanket.

'Hey.' He said, lifting her chin with his fingers. 'It's gonna be okay. I promise'

**
Everyone stared again when Lythia and Gally walked to the crowd. For so many reasons. She ignored it as much as she could, to be honest she was getting used to it. Gally wasn't phased, he didn't care how much attention was on him.

 It was dark now, they'd slept the whole day. Lythia didn't feel refreshed. She just felt down.

Everyone was in a circle around the walls entrance.

She knew she shouldn't feel like it, but the fact that the walls were still open, it's like they invited her in. She still wanted to be a runner even though she almost died out there.

They stood next to Minho and newt, who stood next to Thomas. He gave her a sympathetic smile, Gally glaring at him.

Why was he so wary of Thomas?

Minho gave Lythia a reassuring touch and newt followed. They were on the left of the walls, near the front of the circle that faced the wall opening. Some gladers were talking and looking, others completely silent, looking at the ground. Alby appeared in the middle of the circle, at which point every one fell silent.

'We're joined for the banishment of Zart.' He spoke.

Then, a few of the larger built gladers, appeared in the circle. But they weren't alone.

Zart, was with them, at the end of a bending pole, a collar around his neck. He thrashed and turned, he was a fish on the end of a rod.

The deadliest catch.

Lythia grabbed Gallys hand.

Zarts face was swollen, bruised and cut, an obvious result of Gallys fists. She didn't feel remorse.

Everyone was chanting and shouting insults, throwing things and spitting toward Zart. Lythia felt fear and anger, as his head turned and looked straight at her. The nerve he had.  His eyes were no longer droopy, but purple bloodied slits, his nose bent. Minhos broad frame stepped infront of Lythia slightly, protecting her incase Zart somehow got off the rod and came for her again.

The chanting stopped when he was at the walls opening. He was struggling and whimpering, clawing at he tight collar that was around his scrawny little neck. 'Shut the shuck up or I'll hit that bruised ugly face so hard you'll lose your balls' one of the gladers who were holding the rod shouted.

'You, Zart, are punishable by banishment for the assault of Lythia, on an account of 3 times.  This is breaking the rule of violence and equality to other gladers. The contact you gave is deemed unacceptable and was not consented.' Alby sternly voiced.

Why was this so professional? Lythia wanted them to just throw the fucker in the maze and get over it.

Gallys grip tightened on her hand, and she squeezed back. She knew he was angry, and she knew she was the only one that could stop him from running out there and killing him himself. His face was fixed onto Zart, and his eyes were evil.

'Any last words?' Alby asked. 'Why the fuck are you giving him last words?' Gally shouted. 'He tried to rape a girl, give him what he deserves!' Anger waved through his voice. 'Gally, please.' Alby warned.

'I didn't mean to do it!' Zart cried. 'She made me, her butt sticking up in the air like that, she wanted it, she coaxed me!' His voice shook.

Lythias adrenaline levels rised. How fucking dare he. She squeezed Gallys hand again, terrified of the moment he might let go and move toward Zart.

'Please Lythia! Please tell them this doesn't have to happen tell them you wanted it!' He begged. His voice was pathetic, he was desperate.

'Go.' Alby ordered, as the walls began to rumble shut.

'No! Noooo! Please! I was wrong! Stop! Please!' He begged, as the rods were pushed, forcing Zart into the maze. Lythia almost wanted to laugh. He was completely helpless, and she wanted him to know how it felt.

'stop! I'll do anything!' His voice was cracking, he was crying. The walls were almost closed, as Zart was shoved through them. 'PLEASE!' He begged. 'LYTHIA YOU SLUT' he shouted, the walls finally closing shut.

It was a seal to zarts fate. Lythia and gally both hoped his death was painful.