Guards

She knocked on the glass, causing the man outside to swivel around quickly, confusion on his face. She put on her best pained face, and motioned for a drink of water. He slowly opened the door, and pointed a gun at her.

She gasped, jumping back and throwing her arms up. 'Please.' she chocked out. 'I just need a drink of water.'

She didn't even have to act it, her voice was very dry and she really did need a drink. 'You're not supposed to be awake' he warned.

He was wearing what Lythi thought looked like a bullet proof vest, and he had more than one gun. The gun he was pointing at her was small, but he had a larger one strapped to his back. Although he was big, he seemed to be trembling, almost scared of Lythia. He was in his 20's at the least, with blonde hair.

'Please don't point that at me.. I just need a drink' she batted her eyelids at him. 'Okay.. Just.. Just go sit down' he warned, putting the gun back in his holster.

He must be a rookie. He even left the damn door open. She crept forward to him, the needle at the ready. 'You need to go straight back to sleep once I've given you this' he spoke, his back turned to her.

'If not I'll have no choice but to-' Lythia stabbed him in the neck before he could finish his sentence, injecting the formula. She didn't even know if this would work, she don't even know what it was. She just had to hope.

He collapsed instantly, his whole body tensing and curling like a spider that had just been killed. Lythia took her chance. 

She ran to the door, quietly closing it behind her, discarding the empty syringe in the room. She felt no guilt at what she'd done. There was a reason he was pointing a gun straight in her face and all she cared about right now was Gally.

She found herself  in a long hallway, that seemed to curve into a circle. She walked cautiously, the shape of the hallway could expose her if she rushed too much. Other doors similar to hers shared the walkway, but nobody filled them as her brown eyes seared through  the windows.

'Are you sure it'll work?' A female voice echoed from the distance. The one from Lythias dreams.

'Yes. The serum always works. Its only cause she opened her big mouth that people began to remember.' A male replied.

Footsteps were getting closer.

Lythia searched for a place to hide, spotting an open door. She ran in, closing it slowly behind her. She was in a similar room. At her feet another guard lay, blood coming from his body. She wondered for a moment if she had acidentally ventured back into the room she came out of.

A bed sat in the middle of the room, and the same syringes and tools on a table. 4 more syringes. She stuffed them into her pocket, and stood behind the door, as she heard the footsteps pass by. She then gave it a few minutes, before stepping back out into the hallway.

She ventured some more, twisting and turning, lightly on her feet, she didn't know if she was going up or down, or even if she was just going round in a circle. It was like another maze, only worse. 

Except with humans in the position of the grievers.

'WHERES THE GUARD?!' A loud male voice boomed throughout the place, from behind Lythia. 'FIND THEM'

She panicked, and picked up her pace, beginning to run, constantly checking behind her with the syringe in her clutch.

Smack.

She ran into someone. Or something. She landed on the floor with a thud.

'Jesus Christ' she mumbled, rubbing her arm.

'Lythia?' A concerned voice questioned.

Thomas.

'Thomas?!'

He helped Lythia off the floor, and they embraced each other in a hug. Hope started to fill Lythia again. She hoped they were all here, all the gladers, and Gally, she prayed she would run into Gally next and feel him wrap himself around her.

'I thought you were dead' she began to cry with happiness.

'I thought the same about you' he replied, hugging her again.

'Where are we? What happened?' she asked in a hushed voice. He was about to reply when they heard multiple footsteps closing in on them.

'We gotta go.' He pulled her along.

*
'Do you even know where we're going?' Lythia asked, after they'd been running for a few minutes, down stairs and round more corners. The rooms and walls hadnt changed, but the shape of the hallways had. She made sure to peek in every door in the hopes of finding Gally in one of them, but she didn't.

'I remember some things' thomas said, as they ran through two doors, down a set of steps.

They hadarrived in what looked like a cellar, damp and dull, the smell of rust mixing with the cold air. Thomas leaned against a wall to catch his breath.

'We were here.. This is... This is the people who... Who created the maze..' He explained breathlessly.
'I dreamt.. I don't know I just remember more' he continued. 'We're.. We can't leave this place..Lythia... I think we'll die out there.'