Chapter Two

My face hurt in the way my brain did when I was in math class. I couldn't feel my mouth or my nose.

"Geez, they really messed me up."
Kimber looked up from my wounds and smiled. Her dirty blonde hair fell over her eyes, and her eyes barely peeked through. Her makeup made her look dark like me, but she was really just a normal, party-loving teenager. She rarely came to school, so today was rare, and she hardly noticed me. Even though she was in my clique, she was never one to show up. If anyone were to make up the saying "fashionably late", it would be her.

"I disagree. I think you messed them up. You're brave to help your brother out like that." Her voice was smooth. The fluid tone calmed me until I didn't even mind the horrible taste in my mouth.

I smiled back at her and ran my fingers through my hair. "You're always so optimistic," I started with a sigh. My gaze moved over to Charlie, who was doing his homework at a lunch table outside. "I just helped him because I felt bad. He gets beat up every Tuesday."

She took some Advil out of her backpack and handed me two pills, along with some fizzy lemonade. I drank the pills and watched her pull out a cigarette from her pocket.

"Haven't they caught you smoking yet? It seems like you always smoke and they never care."

She nodded in response, giving an amiable expression, and she lit her cigarette. The smoke puffed into my face, and I graciously breathed it in. It soothed me, especially coming over from her. "Well, either way, I don't mind your bad habits."

Immediately, she responded, "Good. I'm tired of people saying that I'm ruining my life or something. Like, it's just smoking. I'm not doing that many drugs..." She rambled on about drugs and excuses, but I didn't need to hear it. I understood what she wanted because I wanted the exact same thing. I wanted freedom from this feeling of utter hopelessness. I always felt like a waste to society. In my eyes, my breed of people would be a great benefit, but apparently I'm the lowest in the system.

I scooted to sit beside her instead of ahead of her. As she smoked, she smiled when she felt my body close by. Now we both sat on the concrete wall that surrounded a cluster of plants. "I get it. Maybe you should give me a cig sometime." I only suggested so because I was always on the edge of failure. I needed a good stress relief, and I was only brave enough to start from the bottom.

Her finger held her cigarette firmly whenever she let it stick between her lips. Her nails were long and painted black. She wore combat boots, ripped jeans, and a black muscle tee. Truly, she was an idol to me. Kimber was fearless and took care of me no matter what. I admired her deeply for that.

A tall girl came over and joined us. She sat beside me, so I was in between the two of them. Her brown hair fell over her shoulders in a waterfall of curls, but her hands brushed it away as she turned to face me.

Blatantly, she mumbled, "Nice job getting your ass kicked." She grabbed Kimber's cigarette out of her hand and tossed it to the ground, stomping on it until it was put out. She retracted her arm back to her side, since she had to reach over to get the cigarette.

Kimber growled softly but didn't dare respond in any other way to the group leader. We might've all been really good friends, but we were often trying to intimidate each other to get a higher rank. Higher ranks just meant higher position in our little posse.

I smiled in reply with a subtle, "Thanks." I wasn't looking for a fight, especially with Louise. She may have been the girliest in the group, but she certainly wasn't the weakest. Well known for hitting her parents back, she was also notoriously known as one of the strongest girls in the grade.

The clouds covered the sun until goose bumps arose on my arms and legs. My gloves now rested on my lap, as well as a gray beanie I had planned on using later. The lunch bell had ringed and nobody was around. The park was empty, the lunch tables were empty, and my heart was empty. The feeling of accomplishment was soon replaced with regret.