Chapter Fourteen

I had no idea where Jesse was, but I was about to take him up on that offer he suggested earlier. I was ready to do what had to be done for Giles to get what he deserved. I wanted to see him in Hell with me.

I said goodbye to Dr. Johnson, probably forever, and made my way through prison. I didn't see Angelica, but I walked past her office. I took note of everything. The feeling of the door handle, the smell that wavered as I walked by, and the sound my fingernails made against the door. She clearly wasn't inside since no one opened the door when I made myself so obvious.

I couldn't find Giles much easier, but I assumed he was outside on duty. No one went outside for free time since it was a place for beating others up, but some people had chores to do outside. It was the worst for them in the winter, I assumed, but my chores were mostly just mopping and scrubbing. I even had to clean toilets once in a while, I think.

I eventually found Jesse in the lunchroom. It wasn't free time, but some people didn't have chores to do if they did it already or did such a good job on a previous one. I assumed Jesse just did his work in sums and then enjoyed his extra free time with his rugged buddies.

I walked up to them, an angry expression on my face, and waved everyone to shoo. At first, everyone looked at me like I was a kid, like I was a 17-year-old, but then they paid attention to me. I snarled at them and pretended that I was about to bite them, and they uncomfortably started to migrate together. They made their way to the door, said their farewells, and then headed out to the main corridor.

Jesse stood and flexed his enormous height and dark tattoos. He didn't intimidate me anymore, but he sure did when I first saw him.
"Tyson, my main man, what can I do you for?" He asked, sounding quite like the businessman I never thought he could be. His green eyes locked onto mine, but he was looking down at me even while he was sitting on the edge of the lunch tables. His legs swung below him. His fingers ran through his generous beard. He looked calm, but still tough and able to snap somebody with just his pinkie.

I stepped closer and watched his expression turn from casual to serious just like that. His eyebrows changed position just as his lips. He didn't sit up, but he looked much more ready for that chat we needed to have.

My eyes first looked at his, but then at his tattoos. They were mostly just skulls, random symbols, and satanic lingo, but I expected nothing else from a criminal like him. Besides, anyone with that much muscle and that many scars had to be evil. "Remember when you offered to help me kill Giles. I accept, and we do it as soon as possible. I have no deadline, but I'd like to be done by dusk."

He stared at me, probably in awe, and then burst out chuckling. His voice was deep, but his laughs were like the lowest note on a piano being pressed over and over again. It was almost like he thought I was joking or something. I wasn't.

He calmed down a bit and smiled. His teeth were perfect and white. He had one gold tooth near his back teeth, which I had just noticed. "How hilarious! You think you're the boss of this operation?" He shook his head with distaste and slid off the edge of the sink. He stood a few inches taller than me, so I didn't have to look too much higher up, but he could've given me quite the head-butt. "No, no, no, I'm the king of this. I'll tell you when and what we do."

I was anxious and on a mental schedule. I didn't want to anger my only chance of giving Giles what he deserved, but I didn't want to be waked over either. "Please, just go on my schedule, and I can do anything else you want me to. I'm going to get out—"

I stopped myself from blabbing anything else, but Jesse didn't seem to care for what I was saying. He knew I was crazy. Everyone else was surprised that I was changing, but I think he knew that I was still a Mad Hatter on the inside. Who isn't?