Chapter Six

I joined Giles and his friends once more for Dinner. I was already used to the feeling of not knowing who I was. I hadn't recalled any more memories, but I was positive I didn't want to. Wherever I went, whether it was my afternoon duties of washing the floors and cleaning the cells or just going to the bathroom to change and shower, I was always stared at. People were flabbergasted when they realized I wasn't a maniac or psychopath anymore. It was actually a nice blend of comfort and amusement to see the faces of the guards, other inmates, and lunch ladies' surprise. It was reassurance that I was now a better person, and that seemed to be all that mattered.

I smiled at Diamond as she passed by, cleaning the tables that everyone ate on. Some tables, like the ones that were used for the crazy and disabled inmates, were covered in food and blood, but some were nice and clean even after they were left over from a meal.

"Having a good day, Miss Diamond?" I asked.
She looked up at me with her golden hues and smiled. The wrinkles on her face softened her look and gave her a motherly appearance. She was the closest thing I had to my mom anyways, so I decided to take advantage of her presence. I appreciated her far more than I should have.

She was wearing an apron over her white work clothes. Her apron was stained with greens and oranges to make a brown, paint looking pattern all over. A golden cross necklace swung from her neck and put me at ease, but her height and strong looking arms evened out her softness to make her look neutral. She looked like everything a mother needed to be: hopeful, loyal, strong, gentle, caring, and kind. However, from what I gathered about her, she was not a mother anymore. She had an abusive husband who beat her two daughters, but she filed a divorce and managed to get a decent portion of his money. Then, her daughters were kidnapped by her ex-husband and were killed after a series of unfortunate events. I could really feel her pain as she explained those things. It was like I was vicariously watching this entire thing happening in my head. I would never want that to happen to my children. Still, it looked like her job at prison made up for her loss. She had many friends at prison, including inmates and other lunch ladies. She seemed happy most of the time, and I was very glad about that.

She smiled at me, showing her pearly whites. "Ah, yes, I'm having an excellent day, actually. I'm glad you changed, by the way."

My eyes widened. I found a good opportunity to ask the million-dollar question. "Oh, about that, do you remember what I got arrested for?"

She glared at me, studying my facial expression. I still wasn't used to this body, so I must've gave a weird or funny face. Diamond shook her head. Her graying ponytail swooped back and forth until her head stopped moving, and then she went back to cleaning tables. I had a feeling she was lying, but I decided not to point it out. I didn't want to seem rude, especially to the only person who I trusted. I suppose my brain was scrambled at that point, but I wasn't sure whether she was on my side or not.

I looked over at Giles and his friends. They were all similar to him. They all looked lanky and innocent, but they all still gave off a feeling of danger and disturbance. They all had a few tattoos, scars, and raspy voices, but some just looked nice. The tattoos weren't intimidating, the scars looked natural, and their voices sounded like normal masculine voices.

When dinner ended, and I finished eating, I dumped my tray and decided to hang out in the lunchroom for a bit longer.

Dinner had been mashed potatoes and gravy, chunks of chicken, and a small bowl of fruits. Everything tasted like it was canned, and Diamond revealed that they were given huge bags of uncooked food that they simply heated up and served. It made me a bit sick to my stomach, but she said she would give me a fresh apple if I helped her out in the kitchen after dinner.