Chapter Fifteen

I wasn't too worried about Giles after the whole incident happened. My focus was more towards Angelica, and I was sure that escape was near. I could taste the sweetness that it brought me.

I knew where Angelica's office was. It was a bit dark at this point, which was exactly how I wanted it to turn out, so I headed right to my crush. It was a bad idea to just waltz in, but it's not like it mattered anymore. Either all is well or I die. Well, I could also just not do anything, but that was out of the question. I was going to do something, and I would go out with a bam.

The hall lights were beginning to be dimmed. In the crazy's area, the lights were either dull or completely out. The guards would probably notice I was missing in time, but I was well prepared to get everything over with by then. The lights near the offices were still as bright as day, which I had almost forgotten about.

It felt like time flew by when death was at your doorstep.

Everything was so still that I could hear my own heavy breathing and wide paces. The air smelt of excrement, but it was nothing unfamiliar. At least I could smell victory as well, and that was all I needed to keep me going.

I was halfway down the hall when I noticed Angelica leaving. Her office door, which was a light wood color, swung open and revealed her. She was gorgeous, and there was no doubt that I wouldn't mind kissing her. However, as I mentioned before hand, death was at the doorstep.

She looked over at me, sighing so dramatically that I could see the gesture from yards away. Still, I approached her and smiled. I looked different, and probably not as attractive, but I knew I would butter her up. Just the annoyed, but slightly glad look was enough to let me know.

"Good to see you too, Angel," I greeted, bowing my head slightly when I arrived to her area. I stood two feet away; close but not too close.

She glared at me and shook her head. Her body language said no, but her devious smile said yes. I couldn't help but grin in return when I saw how truly happy she was to see me. I mean, who could not smile at such an endearing face? Those icy eyes, the smooth skin, and the fancy up do in her hair. She looked like she always wanted to as a teenager. She wanted to be an adult, and here she was. That itself was beautiful.

She held her purse firmly in her hands, letting the handles push into her hand at the weight. Her arms were bare from the absence of sleeves on her black dress. The dress was casual, but she often played with it as if it was a ballroom outfit. Her heels matched the color of the aqua colored stripes, and her nails were done the exact same color. She must've dressed for the event.

With a smirk, she shifted her weight to one side on her hip. "What could you possibly want from me?" Her voice was soft and warm, like petting a furry, little kitten. There was no trace of anger or hostility.

I gasped, pretending to look offended. "I just said hello! God, do you always have to be such a downer?" I also showed no anger because I was too happy for any of that. I was completely jubilant.

She shook her head again and again. She would even look down, making her dark blue eye shadow visible. "No, Tyson, you were always a downer. You asked for freedom, so I gave you the best that I could."

Now, what Dr. Johnson said seemed very believable. Clearly, it was Angelica who sent me here. However, I wasn't so sure that killing her would do the trick. Plus, how was my kiss supposed to kill her. I killed Mickie, so maybe my kiss was a harbinger of death, but it wasn't like she died instantly. That's what I wanted, and I really hoped for it. If she didn't die, I was stuck here, or worse. In fact, she could send me down to whatever Hell she imagined for me.

A shrug of doubt slipped through my body. Angelica noticed the twitchy movement and sighed. She placed her weight on one foot now as well. "What?" She added. "This place doesn't suit you?"

That was an odd question. No, I don't think prison suited me, and it never would have. I was an accidental criminal. It was no secret that the kindness in me was simply masked by burning hatred that arose in little bumps in the road.

I decided to shake my head. "No. I also didn't like the train. Mickie was a poor decision to include." I was grumpy about that. There was some anger involved in those words.

Her hand fumbled into the pocket on the side of her purse and retrieved a key. She opened the door to her office and let me in. Gratefully, I thanked her and slipped inside. The office was plain and boring. She had only been at work for two days, but there was practically nothing out of the ordinary at all.

"Well, you see, I like a show. Entertainment is all I have, and what happened between you and Mickie was nothing that anyone should take personally." She paused to change the subject, and she also placed her purse on her desk.

I stood against her table and watched her carefully. She simply stood in front of me. There was a foot of space between us, and I was beginning to get violently uncomfortable (violently is a sensitive word for me, so let's just use 'very' instead).

"So I'm just a freak show to you?"

She shook her head as quick as she could. Her arm extended out towards me, and I thought that she was going to rest her hand on my chest as Mickie did, but the palm of her hand made contact with my shoulder. Sympathy was clumsily painted across her face. It was obvious that whatever she felt for me was either the opposite of what she was showing, or she was hiding it all. "You're being admired, my sweet Tyson!" She took a step forward until the both of us were dangerously close together (again, probably not the best word choice).

That was it. That was the moment of truth. Liberation was so close. It tasted like metal and cheap perfume. Perhaps that was just my dry mouth and Angelica's scent, but either was enough to bring a smile to my face. There was a hint of a sneer on my face, and I was truly close to the freedom I had wanted all my life.

There was a brief moment of silence as our lips came so close, yet so far. It was almost as if I could hear the bells chiming in the distance. The good news is that I couldn't see the old lady anywhere nearby, but I suppose the dead don't see it coming.

She stopped mid way, but so did I. "What?" I asked. I wasn't too curious, however.

The lovely, young female giggled and placed her other hand on my shoulder. "What do you think you're doing?" She answered my question with a question. Typical girls: being so confusing and strange sometimes. I can't say I haven't been perplexing before, but I was taking baby steps.

There was no confusion left in my eyes. There were no questions, or even answers. "I wanted to end things between us."

"With a kiss?"

"Of course."

The process began again. Everything seemed to melt around us. The colors of the office blended into one painting that swam around my memories and accomplishment.

I couldn't see the old lady, but I could feel her as I did with Giles. She was a heavy presence that thickened all of my emotions. Not only were the colors, blue and greens mostly, moving around me, but so were my feelings. Sadness and joy clumped together while anger and disgust cuddled together for warmth. There was an almost relieving feeling as Angelica inched her lips forward. The only emotion that hadn't faltered was love, and I clung onto it with every fiber in my being.

It wasn't long before a cold feeling pecked at my lips. It was just as magical as the movies made it out to be. It was tender and loving, just like the one with Mickie, but this one was different. This kiss was what I yearned for, and it came hand in hand with my release.