Chapter Ten

My eyes slowly peeled open. The bumps and rumbles of the train caused great discomfort for those sleeping, so it was hard not to wake up so easily from something so bothersome. The biggest bump came as I sat up in my seat.
The person sitting beside me gave a sideways glance when I yawned and stretched. Immediately, I noticed what was off.

First of all, I was in a train. I despise trains because they rattle like they're about to fall off their rails, and they always shake so much. It was highly unlikely I'd ever willingly get onto a train unless I'd have to, and that was unlikely even still. Second, I recognized nobody on the train, which meant I was completely alone. There were absolutely no familiar faces to be seen. Third, My face wasn't familiar either.

I got a good look at myself by looking at my reflection in a metallic colored railing for the seat. I was sitting on the end closest to the little pathway for walking. The door to the compartment was closed, so I could stare at my reflection however long I wanted to and no one would judge me.

I first noticed my dark ginger hair that was gelled into a nice up do, but I also quickly noticed the slight beard that went along with it. I had a nicely done mustache that matched my hazel eyes as well. I definitely looked a bit older than I did previously, which was still a weird feeling to have, but at least I didn't look younger. I wore a black muscle tee that showed off my large muscles, which I also didn't mind much.

The woman next to me giggled at something, so I turned around and realized she was laughing at me. Quickly, her hand covered her mouth and she pretended she never saw me. I raised an eyebrow at her and crossed my arms.
Then, a few people across from us left the room. I decided it was finally time to get some answers. I was so confused with what was happening to me. Switching bodies once was weird enough, but switching twice was just screwing with my mind. Maybe the switch happened whenever I fell asleep and woke up, which would easily explain the insomnia I was dealing with.

The weirdest part though was that I kept my memory from each dream, or whatever I was having. Every time I switched bodies I got the knowledge of the last ones, which I suppose made me wiser. Still, it was weird knowing that I was skipping ages. I only had the intelligence of a junior, which wasn't saying much.

I turned to face the window of the small room, which happened to be right behind the girl sitting beside me. She looked a bit similar to me.

"Do you know where we're headed?" I asked her. My voice sounded a bit different. It was deeper pitched and had a slight accent as well. It wasn't Irish, as I'd hoped, but maybe Australian or British. I couldn't control it, so I decided not to try.

She looked over at me again. Her strawberry blonde hair swooshed over her shoulder as her head turned to face me. Her eyes were an amazingly lovely electric blue that faded to gold near the pupil. She had little freckles scattered around her whole face, but they swarmed near her cheeks and nose. She looked only a few years younger than I, and she was probably alone on the train as well.

"Springfield, Illinois, obviously. Dumb question." Her voice was annoyingly high pitched, but I also loved it. It was a subtle reminder of Louise, who also had quite the high-pitched voice. It was nice to remember her.

I nodded, as if I was agreeing that it was a stupid question, but I still had no idea who I was. Whenever I woke up to these dreams, I couldn't remember anything of the person who I was possessing. I didn't even know my name, but I still assumed it was Tyson.

Then, I remembered that I had my backpack stored in the room above my head. I stood up as quick as I could and grabbed my putty green backpack. It was heavy as hell, but I managed to plop it down onto my seat. I started opening it up, but the woman beside me was peeking.